PDA

View Full Version : Giesemann Matrix v ATI Powermodule v Solaris

13threefmaniac
09/19/2008, 10:08 AM
I need some advice on what lighting system to choose here. I plan on having a 48" long X 36" wide tank and am contemplating between the three abovementioned units.

Has anyone had any experience with the Giesemann Matrix? How does it compare to the ATI Powermodule?

How does the Solaris compare to the T5 units and what is the difference between the 15k and 20k models?

13threefmaniac
09/19/2008, 12:49 PM
Bump

chem-e
09/19/2008, 02:00 PM
I don't have any experience with any of these fixtures, but I was in the same boat as well and I did a little research.

The Matrix I liked because of all the different color options. This was important to me because I wanted the fixture to go with the rest of my decor, but it lacked fans, which are important for light output. Pricewise, it's more expensive than the ATI.

The ATI I liked because of the output and in the end with the price being less than the Matrix, I stopped looking at the G-man.

I still haven't bought the ATI yet, but this is the lighting that I'm leaning towards.

Just my .02

13threefmaniac
09/19/2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks a lot Chem-e. I do own a 36" ATI Powermodule and am very satisfied with it. The only problem i see is that with a larger tank, there is no way my 6 bulb fixture is going to cut it. I was considering getting a 4 or 6 bulb 48" ATI in addition to the one i already have or selling my 36" fixture and purchasing a 10 bulb 48" ATI. Either that or save up a little more and get a Solaris (consumes much less energy, little to no heat transfer and doesnt require a bulb change for at least 10 years), Should be worth forking out the initial cost IMO. The only thing that i holding me back is that i have grown pretty attached to the ATI and am reluctant to my lighting since it has served me so well.

d4a2n0k
09/19/2008, 03:01 PM
I think you should read about the Solaris problems before jumping on that light. There is a huge thread with many common problems....

I agree, the Powermodule is hard to beat for the price. I just got the 8 x 54w Powermodule and love it. The 10 x 54w should serve you well.

dingdong03
09/19/2008, 04:02 PM
I like my ATI Powermodule,it build so solid and had heavier weight than you think.

mcliffy2
09/19/2008, 05:15 PM
I think the 10 bulbs might not quite cover the full width of 36" - it may if you don't keep SPS at either the front or back (whichever side of the tank its pushed too). Can you guys get Sfiligoi over there? I can't really compare head-to-head, but IMO I like the looks of the Sfiligoi the best, and its PAR is more than enough, plus they offer 12 bulb models that ATI does not. If you went ATI, I'd think about doing 2 6-bulb units.

Also, are you going rimless or eurobraced? Either way, consider going with a 39w unit for a 4 ft. tank unless you are stocking 100% SPS, otherwise you'll have a hard time finding a place for LPS. If you are doing eurobraced then definitely do the 3 ft. light, as you'll have 4 in. of eurobrace on each side obstructing the light anyway.

13threefmaniac
09/20/2008, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13385709#post13385709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d4a2n0k
I think you should read about the Solaris problems before jumping on that light. There is a huge thread with many common problems....

I agree, the Powermodule is hard to beat for the price. I just got the 8 x 54w Powermodule and love it. The 10 x 54w should serve you well.

I can't seem to find the Solaris thread, but i did stumble across a product review from advanced aquarist and it said nothing but good things.

13threefmaniac
09/20/2008, 10:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13386411#post13386411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcliffy2
I think the 10 bulbs might not quite cover the full width of 36" - it may if you don't keep SPS at either the front or back (whichever side of the tank its pushed too). Can you guys get Sfiligoi over there? I can't really compare head-to-head, but IMO I like the looks of the Sfiligoi the best, and its PAR is more than enough, plus they offer 12 bulb models that ATI does not. If you went ATI, I'd think about doing 2 6-bulb units.

Also, are you going rimless or eurobraced? Either way, consider going with a 39w unit for a 4 ft. tank unless you are stocking 100% SPS, otherwise you'll have a hard time finding a place for LPS. If you are doing eurobraced then definitely do the 3 ft. light, as you'll have 4 in. of eurobrace on each side obstructing the light anyway.

Yes we can get Sfiligoi over here but the cost is astronomical. I think their fixtures are aesthetically the best. They are too nice to be hidden IMO. I already own 1 6 bulb 39 watt ATI powermodule, so i guess i'll be sticking with the ATI, but since i am definitely going to need more bulbs, i am contemplating selling my current 6 bulb fixture and getting a 10 bulb one. I do plan on going eurobraced so i guess i won't have to get a 54W unit. I think i'll go for the 10 bulb ATI fixture and if the light spread is insufficient, i can always use my Giesemann Razor fixture thats lying somewhere around the place to add 2 extra bulbs worth of light. Btw, your tank is totally awesome.

hahnmeister
09/21/2008, 07:06 AM
You might want to check out the Sfiligoi Stealth units as well... when price shopping with a friend, they came up cheaper than the ATI and had two more bulbs!

GSMguy
09/21/2008, 07:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13393438#post13393438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 13threefmaniac
I can't seem to find the Solaris thread, but i did stumble across a product review from advanced aquarist and it said nothing but good things.

there are issues you should be wary.

i think the only thing with enough spread for you is a t5 unit.

ATI makes a very nice fixture, so does aquatinics.

13threefmaniac
09/21/2008, 12:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13394501#post13394501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
You might want to check out the Sfiligoi Stealth units as well... when price shopping with a friend, they came up cheaper than the ATI and had two more bulbs!

Over in the states i think the Sfiligoi might be cheaper, but for some starnge reason they seem to be way more expensive here in Malaysia.

13threefmaniac
09/21/2008, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13394551#post13394551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
there are issues you should be wary.

i think the only thing with enough spread for you is a t5 unit.

ATI makes a very nice fixture, so does aquatinics.

I was wondering about the solaris because in the long run they seem to be much more cost efficient. I think i shall stick to t5's and invest in a 10 bulb ATI unit. I will have a few large SPS colonies in the mid section of the tank. Taking this into consideration, would it be safe to go with a 36" fixture over a 48" tank?

d4a2n0k
09/21/2008, 12:42 PM
Here you go. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1445940&highlight=solaris+problems

GSMguy
09/21/2008, 12:49 PM
i am sure you can get away with the 36" fixture, its only 6 inches on each end that are without light.

the 36" X 10T5 will be fine and you wont have light spill from the ends as much. Also the powermodule is like a blanket of light and is very bright this might help you have a lower light coral at the ends of the tank.

13threefmaniac
09/21/2008, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13396077#post13396077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d4a2n0k
Here you go. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1445940&highlight=solaris+problems

Thanks a lot d4a2n0k. Really appreciate the help locating the thread.

13threefmaniac
09/21/2008, 01:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13396111#post13396111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i am sure you can get away with the 36" fixture, its only 6 inches on each end that are without light.

the 36" X 10T5 will be fine and you wont have light spill from the ends as much. Also the powermodule is like a blanket of light and is very bright this might help you have a lower light coral at the ends of the tank.

Thanks a lot for the input GSMguy. I have finally got my lighting sorted out then.

13threefmaniac
09/21/2008, 01:25 PM
Btw, d4a2n0k, that is a really nice looking Mystery Wrasse.