PDA

View Full Version : ATI t5 power module fixture questions

ozman3803
09/19/2008, 02:56 PM
I have been considering the t5 retro kit from reefgeek.com with the icecap ballasts and slr reflectors. Interested in the ATI lighting system, just wondering if anyone has any experience with these and if so what bulb config. for a 20k look but great growth for mixed reef?
Is it worth the $$$$ or is there something comparable? If so where could I find this at?

thanks

crashrat
09/19/2008, 06:50 PM
What ever you decide for the ballasts I currently have ATI bulbs as follows
Blue Plus
Aqua blue
Pro Color
Actinic
Aqua blue
Blue Plus

this gives me the nice blue with growth. I was thinking about replacing the Aqua Blue with URI 75/25 to get more in the blue range, but I think I would lose some of the PAR I have with the Aqua Blue.

ozman3803
09/20/2008, 11:49 AM
can anyone tell me if the tek t5 fixtures are comparable to the ati power module. or is there a up gradable ballasts for the teks? this will be a 4 ft. 6 bulb config times two over a 200 gal. 8 ft tank. I want to stick with t5's, am I better off going with the very HO ice cap retro's w/ slr reflectors or like I said are the tek t5 or ati power module a better bet? any ideas?

13threefmaniac
09/20/2008, 09:57 PM
ATI every time. It blows the Tek out of the water.

DrDNA
09/20/2008, 10:00 PM
I have both the Tek and ATI powermodules on different tanks. putting the two side by side is like comparing a chevy (Tek) to a ferrari (ATI), both in terms of light output and build quality.

if you are looking for a good T5 20k equivalent, use the ATI blue plus bulbs. I think grimreefer tested the par on many of the T5 bulbs, and the blue plus had only 10% less par than the "white" bulbs. they are basically the same spectrum as the radium. in my 10 bulb unit, I use like 6 blue plus, two fiji purples, and two UVL super actinics.

good luck!

jennmac415
09/20/2008, 10:40 PM
DrDNA do you have any pics of your tank running this combo?

DrDNA
09/20/2008, 11:22 PM
jenni-

here are a couple pics from back in june. it doesn't appear that "blue" in person, I just can't figure out how to get the white balance right on my camera...
I have tried many different T5 bulb combos but still like the blue plus - fiji purple - UVL SA combo the best.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/jrodzen/FTS1_060308.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/jrodzen/front1_060308.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/jrodzen/back1_060308.jpg

jennmac415
09/20/2008, 11:25 PM
Jeff... thanks, that looks great! How is growth with this combo?

DrDNA
09/20/2008, 11:38 PM
I am getting better growth than I did with 4x250w halides. I wish I would have started with T5s!

jtma508
09/21/2008, 10:01 AM
DrDNA... I know GrimReefer isn't a big fan of the fiji purple. Is there a reason that you like them besides color?

jennmac415
09/21/2008, 12:23 PM
I am gathering info on the fiji puirple also... time to replace my bulbs and I am thinking about adding one of these to the mix...it seems every tank I have seen that uses one has awesome color!
anyone know if a Procolor would have a similar look?

DrDNA
09/21/2008, 10:56 PM
IMHO, I like the fiji purples a lot better than the Procolor, which is really just an orange bulb. The fiji purple, while pricey, is somewhat unique in that it combines both the traditional actinic and some sort of "red actinic" in the same bulb. I haven't found another bulb that makes reds pop out as much as the fiji purples do. To look at the bulb, they are basically whitish in appearance, but also contain the purple and red "actinic" phosphors.

hope this helps!

Stoney G
09/23/2008, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13393442#post13393442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrDNA
[B]I have both the Tek and ATI powermodules on different tanks. putting the two side by side is like comparing a chevy (Tek) to a ferrari (ATI), both in terms of light output and build quality.

In price also :)

DrDNA
09/23/2008, 11:24 PM
You're certainly right about that one!
At least in this case, you are actually getting a lot better fixture for twice the price of a Tek

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13413268#post13413268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stoney G
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13393442#post13393442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrDNA
[B]I have both the Tek and ATI powermodules on different tanks. putting the two side by side is like comparing a chevy (Tek) to a ferrari (ATI), both in terms of light output and build quality.

In price also :)

Todd March
09/23/2008, 11:37 PM
The Powermodules really are nice--the only thing I dislike is the acrylic lens sags in the middle of my 10 bulb unit. The hanging apparatus is really great for being able to quickly raise the fixture for maintance and getting into the tank, and then BAM, you can easily lower it back down right over the tank...

Thanks for the feedback on the Blue+'s, Jeff. I have been running Aquablue Specials, Blue+'s, Fiji's and G-mann actinics, but I think I'll swap out the Aquablue's for all Blue+'s for a look closer to Radium-ville. The pics of your tank look just about perfect—and I realize that most tanks photograph more blue, so I do mean that when I factor that in, your colors really look good...

And I am a big Fiji P fan too--really unique bulb that makes pinks, purples and magentas POP. Helps reds too. The Procolor is really better for reds, but it makes greens and blues suffer too much...