PDA

View Full Version : Randy's Opinion on Chemi-Pure Elite?

tyleratl
09/20/2008, 09:15 AM
I'm hoping that Randy and others will chime in with their opinions of Chemi-Pure Elite. I use it in my Fluval 205 canister filter and it seems to work fine.

But, I'm confused about the "Ion Exchange Resin" used in Chemi-Pure. Some posts say that it will either not work in saltwater or it will remove the good stuff.

Should I worry about removal of the good stuff? Is it true that the ion exchange resin is useless in saltwater?

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/20/2008, 11:10 AM
I'm not entirely certain what all is in Chemi Pure elite, and I have a hard time getting by the ridiculous claims that Boyd makes for regular Chemi Pure.

That said the GFO in Chemi Pure Elite should work like any other GFO.

A polymer ion exchange resin may bind organics from seawater, and that is fine and possibly similar to Seachem's Purigen. Whether it is better than carbon in that way I do not know. It may be complimentary to carbon if it binds a slightly different assortment of organics.

An ion exchange resin in seawater will not usefully most inorganic ions such as ammonium, nitrate, or phosphate.

tyleratl
09/20/2008, 11:19 AM
Yes, they do make a ridiculous claim on the container that no water changes are needed, "ever." Nobody in their right mind would accept that and I think that works against them by creating doubt about the product in general. You've now shed some light on the topic by clarifying that there are some resins that can bind organics from seawater. Although we don't know for sure what is in Chemi-Pure, I am guessing that it is a type of resin that works fine in saltwater in conjunction with their high grade carbon and GFO. It seems to work for me, but I was worried about it stripping out necessary elements from the tank that might require some supplementation beyond the usual calcium and alk supplements and regular water changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/20/2008, 11:42 AM
Any time you bind organics you may export some trace metals that are bound to the organics, but that it probably a net plus rather than a minus. :)

tyleratl
09/20/2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/20/2008, 04:18 PM
You're welcome

Happy Reefing. :)