PDA

View Full Version : Question on Rotifers

slumpysix
09/20/2008, 01:17 PM
I have a well established 2L container of rots. I want to transfer them to lets say a 5 gal bucket as to increase the population. Should i make a starter culture of water and add the rots to that? or maybe create a few more 2L bottles of cultures and then put them together in one bucket? I have had great success in making my phyto and the rots have really developed in that time also. I just don't want to screw it up.

on a side note, I lost the last batch of fry due to some hungry fish I believe. I had put some pieces of tile in the tank and the percs didn't want nothin' to do with them. So last Tuesday, I noticed the little buggers tearing at the Xenia they host in. I mean just rippin' it away from what I thought would be a bad nesting site. So i moved the tile to that spot immediately and I kid you not, 10 minutes later, the female went right back to the original spot of the first eggs where the tile was and layed her eggs. So no eggs on the tile this time around but I have my tank, phyto and food ready to go.

Here's a pic of my phyto at 9 days
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/117494phyto2.jpg

and here it is today, after I split the culture and started a new batch. Time to this point 13 days
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/117494newphyto.jpg

MYDRAAL
09/20/2008, 04:21 PM
Add however much green water you want in the bucket,then add the rots. They'll multiply in the bucket to the density you want. I would also run more then 1 culture of rots JIC. BTW you may want to place a tile in both locations because she may still want that (golden spot) sometimes, at least until she keeps laying them in the same spot.

slumpysix
09/22/2008, 04:38 PM
Thank you for the info!

mastou
09/23/2008, 04:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13390624#post13390624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slumpysix
on a side note, I lost the last batch of fry due to some hungry fish I believe. I had put some pieces of tile in the tank and the percs didn't want nothin' to do with them. So last Tuesday, I noticed the little buggers tearing at the Xenia they host in. I mean just rippin' it away from what I thought would be a bad nesting site. So i moved the tile to that spot immediately and I kid you not, 10 minutes later, the female went right back to the original spot of the first eggs where the tile was and layed her eggs. So no eggs on the tile this time around but I have my tank, phyto and food ready to go.

Don't give up on collecting the fry because you can't get them to lay eggs where you want, you can easily catch the fry anyway...you just have to know which night the eggs hatch ;)

The night you expect them to hatch you turn off the circulation pumps (I keep the return running) when lights go out. Shortly after darkness (20-40min) the larva hatch and you setup a flashlight in a corner. The larva will swim towards the light and you can easily collect them with a net.

/Magnus

rkelman
09/23/2008, 04:44 AM
I'd turn off the return pump as well. I wouldn't use a net. Use a bowl or similar container so you don't injure the fry. They are quite fragile at this stage.

Lifes A Beach
09/23/2008, 06:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13406837#post13406837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
I wouldn't use a net. Use a bowl or similar container so you don't injure the fry. They are quite fragile at this stage.

I agree, don't use a net. On the tanks where the parents don't lay the eggs on a removable rock or tile, I have to collect them too. The best container I have found to scoop is a small square tupperware type container. Just make sure the room is totally dark and the hatch should happen within 30-60 minutes after light go out.

--Barbara
:fish1:

slumpysix
09/23/2008, 07:47 PM
I do have a great chance this time as I have the bio-cube and they are nesting right towards the top. I plan on taking the lid off and waiting. Last time it was ten days till hatch. Today is day 7. Seems to be 1-2 hundred eggs.
thanks everyone...