PDA

View Full Version : Help restock?

t5Nitro
09/20/2008, 02:42 PM
Well... major tank issues caused a lot of coral loss and fish loss. Yesterday I found my 6-7" magnificent foxface, which I could basically pet and hand feed, dead. I think he got caught in a rock and died because his back was like L shaped. Water quality is the same. No ammonia spikes or anything which was a relief.

Right now the tank has a yellow tang and a mandarin in it.

Any suggestions on some really cool additions to give the tank some color and activity again? I seriously think I want to try and find a 3-4" mag. foxface again though. That fish was the coolest one I've ever had. The yellow tang is probably lonely :lol: ... those 2 swam the length of the tank all day with each other! :rolleyes:

So if I would be able to find a small to medium sized mag. foxface... I think that'll be my first choice. Is there one more really cool fish anyone can think of I could add without having any aggresion from the YT?

I've asked a few people this too.. but have yet to get a response. I'll try here. Anyone have a good technique to use for scrubbing live rock? I have about 18-20 pieces that need to come out and scrubbed because of the GHA. It's been in the tank since March. Just recieved a PO4 test kit and it's undetectable (salifert). I have been doing more water changes, siphoning, phosban and carbon changes, skimmer 24/7, and DI resin changed at 1ppm TDS though. Possibily the PO4 WAS high before I was doing all that and before I had the test kit. Maybe I'll start noticing a decline in the GHA after 6 months of the stuff. I think it would still be smart to take all the rocks out and scrub them though just to get everything back on track and looking somewhat nice again. My main question is: How to do it? Like I said, I have a mandarin. Will taking out all of the rocks at once and scrub cause his food population to die off? How about scrubbing in general. Scrubbing them all at once will possibly cause any type of die off on the rocks and putting them all back in would cause some sort of cycle? What about corals being on the rocks. Am I just going to have to bust the corals up and/or scrub around the corals?

Any info appreciated. Thanks again.

As for fish, obviously the tank doesn't have a wide color variation. Yellow and mag fox are in that same range. If anyone has any suggestions there it is much appreciated.

Probably going to try and get this GHA thing and scrubbing taken care of first off and maybe redo the aquascape to one of those "2 rock pile" deals a lot of people are doing now. Looks pretty nice and offers the fish a wide open swim space.