PDA

View Full Version : Treating arminid nudibranchs

Amphiprion
09/20/2008, 06:44 PM
Well, a customer of mine has a sudden infestation of arminid nudibranchs. I honestly don't know where they came from--this includes possibly our store, a competing store, or from someone's tank. In any case, has anyone attempted a dip on softies with KMnO4? I'd test it out myself, but I don't have any soft corals in my own tank--nor do I ever want to recommend something to someone else without knowing the consequences. There is also the other option of using a 5% or so solution of MgCl2, which essentially acts as an anesthetic on the nudibranchs (and is used before preservation, for example). The immobilized nudis can then simply be blasted off, with all the basal areas scoured/scrubbed for egg masses. So has anyone tried either of these treatments on soft corals? Or, for that matter, has anyone tried the MgCl2 on stonies, as well? In either case, let me know ASAP, as I'd like to save this person's tank.

davy182
09/26/2008, 06:24 PM
they say a water jet toothbrush works great at cleaning the nudis and their eggs off of hard corals.

troyman
09/28/2008, 08:07 AM
i did real warm fresh water dips for 5 minutes the nudibranchs all came out and died