PDA

View Full Version : XM or Iwasaki on M57

RoscoPColtrane
09/21/2008, 08:58 AM
Hi,
I am looking for a replacement bulb for my 175W ballast. I have previously used XM 10K and Reeflux 10K. Becuase my ballast has probe start I am very limited to bulb selection (my ballast will no longer fire the Reeflux's).

I am more concerned with appearance than PAR. Can anyone comment on the XM 10K versus the Iwasaki 15Ks? Also can the Iwasakis be used with probe start? (Hellolights claims they can, however they also claim this is true for Reeflux's which is incorrect). I am running 2x 65W actinic pcs for supplumentation and would like a slight hint of blue for color.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

uhuru
09/21/2008, 09:31 AM
I believe iwasakis arent very impressive unless on electronic ballasts. They kick *** on the ARO ones. Check sanjay's site for more info.

RoscoPColtrane
09/21/2008, 09:59 AM
I have checked Sanjay's site. Iwasaki has PPFD of 71 and CCT of 15000 while XM is 62 and 10500. On paper Iwasaki is superior.

My major question is will it work on probe start ballast and is the color truely more blue than XMs? Others have stated that it is not blue at all and must be heavily supplemented. Wondered how it stacked up to XM color... it's an expensive bulb to buy.

VaderWS6
09/21/2008, 12:58 PM
SE XM 10k on an HQI ballast is superior to Iwasaki in PAR and color. Both bulbs cost about the same. I've run both, and the XM kicks the Iwasaki's butt on the HQI.

RoscoPColtrane
09/21/2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info, but I don't have an HQI ballast. For the 175Watt bulbs I am referring to there is a price difference of $20 per bulb.

After reading several threads on the 15Ks I am under the impression that the Iwasaki is not any more blue than 10k XMs. Guess I will stick with the XM, I know it works and I will save myself $40.