PDA

View Full Version : clownfish pairs

tylerdj
09/21/2008, 11:34 AM
is it realy possible to put two pairs of clowns in one aquarium if you have more than just one anenome. Because I was at a lfs and it was one that specialized in marine fishkeeping and I have known the owner since I was 7 years old and he always takes good care of his fish. Is this actually possible. his tank was 37 gallons. So I was thinking of this for my new tank. good idea or bad idea.

bencozzy
09/21/2008, 12:12 PM
ok you shouldnt mix anemone species in the same tank multiple nems of the same species is fine.

now as for multiple pairs of clowns they may be fine for a peroid of time but once they decide to spawn youll only have one pair.

Kmiec123
09/21/2008, 12:31 PM
Anything is possible because there are more than one pair in the ocean. ;) It comes sown to if your tank is big enough and will they respect each others territory.
Hope this helps.
Carl

tylerdj
09/21/2008, 03:52 PM
thankyou. I am taking down my cichlid tank and taking my nano inhabitants and putting them in the new tank. The filtration is a fluval 304 and I will have a prizm skimmer that used to be on a 75. The tank is 37 gallons . It's dimensions are 30'' long, 12'' wide and 21'' high. I already have a sebae anenome , and plan on getting another. I want to hvae a true percula pair and a onyx clown pair. what do you think?

tylerdj
09/21/2008, 03:54 PM
also I don't think they will spawn for me I never had any luck with them spawning. and I have a maroon pair in a 75 going on 3 years and I had a percula and onyx pair both never spawned.

phender
09/21/2008, 04:11 PM
I am not saying I would recommend it, but it can be done. Both having different anemone species and two pairs of clowns. I would give them as much room as possible and choose clowns low on the aggressive scale.

This is a pic of my set up for over 2 1/2 years. The tank is a 48" 60 gal.. There is a gigantea carpet on the left side and a magnifica on the right. A pair of percs in the gigantea and a pair of orange skunks in the mag. The is a purple sebae anemone (H. crispa) under the carpet in this picture. I later moved it under the mag. Both places it did fine. The clowns that were closer to it sometimes used it as a "vacation house". The sebae has since gone to live with a friend who wanted one badly for his display tank and has been replaced by a very small(2") haddoni.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd234/phender_01/60galFull.jpg

Both clown pairs spawn regularly. The percs are more consistent than the skunks. I think it helps that there is a clear division in the middle of tank and the two clowns species are types that are very dependent on their host anemone so they don't stray much. I used to see them in the other's territory when I first put them together, but there was never any violence. They don't stray anymore.

phender
09/21/2008, 04:16 PM
Percula and Onyx are the same species. It might be tougher to have two pairs of the same species than what I have. I forgot to say that the skunks were there first and already had a territory. The percs moved in to a spot that the skunks had no claim to.

I wouldn't try the maroons in the mix. They tend to be very solitary and nasty toward other clowns.

No way I would try mixing anything in a 30" tank.

tylerdj
09/21/2008, 04:21 PM
I wasn't planning on putting maroons in there they are fat and happy in their 75 gallon . they chose to host in a coral in the center of the tank so I couldn't be happier.

tylerdj
09/21/2008, 04:24 PM
I also forgot to say that when I lived in massachuesetts (spelling?) My dad had 2 pairs of clowns in that 37 and they did fine for 4 years. Until we had to move.

Kmiec123
09/21/2008, 07:36 PM
Cool tank phender...I love to think outside the box when I can...I try to do only pairs in my systems just to increase viewing with courtship and other behaviors. :)

phender
09/21/2008, 07:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13398482#post13398482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kmiec123
Cool tank phender...I love to think outside the box when I can...I try to do only pairs in my systems just to increase viewing with courtship and other behaviors. :)

I used to have a pair of Red Sea mimic blennies in this tank that spawned a couple times. I sold them because I suspected them of picking at corals. Turns out, I don't think that was my problem with the corals. :(

Kmiec123
09/21/2008, 07:48 PM
:) I hate when that happens...I thing I have a pair of Green Coris Wrasses spawning in my tank...Need some more observations and a larval snagger. ;)