PDA

View Full Version : Heteractis magnifica

1000W
09/21/2008, 11:59 AM
Like the title says, I am wondering about Heteractis magnifica. I was given an anemone by a friend whom had gotten out of the hobby to start a new job in another state. He did not tell me what type of anemone it is, I simply assumed it was a Macrodactyla doreensis (long tentacle.)

It is what seems to be an unusual color however for a Macrodactyla doreensis. It is bright blue and green, and I mean bright. It has positioned it self in very, very strong flow and as close as it can get it's self under a 400 Watt HQI MH.

So I have been looking around the web trying see what the major distinguishing characteristics are between the two. So can anyone help me with that?

I know you will be needing some pics, I am out of town on business right now and should be able to post pics in around a week or so. Sorry for the premature posting of this thread, I just wanted a head start on this one. I am sitting in my hotel room trying to stay occupied and found this forum.

thank you all for any help.

Gig 'em
09/21/2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah pics would be nice. There are a lot of threads on this site about magnificas. The defining characteristics are the vertical dots running down the foot of the anemone and probably the shape of the mouth. Find some pictures online and see how they compare to your anemone

1000W
09/21/2008, 07:37 PM
Great, thank you very much!!! My search lead me here so I thought I would ask. I will restart my search and take a look at the foot.

Toddrtrex
09/21/2008, 08:02 PM
Are there any "bumps" on the underside of the oral disc ? (( see picture below )), LTAs will have those. (( like "gig 'em" stated )). Also with it being on the rocks, I would lean towards a mag as opposed to an LTA. Of course a picture would be helpful.

Ignore the "hole" in the foot. This is an LTA>

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/GLTA5_20.jpg

elegance coral
09/22/2008, 06:20 AM
From your description, it sounds more like H. magnifica or BTA. We would need pics to be sure, though.
Here's a H. magnifica pic for comparison.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6817/sn851738editedpu4.jpg

1000W
09/23/2008, 04:35 PM
I have several BTA's, It is definitely not a BTA.

After seeing the pic I to am leaning more toward a H. magnifica. As soon as I get back from my trip, I will post some pics of it. Should be late next week.... if all goes well.

1000W
09/23/2008, 04:37 PM
nice pics by the way, that is my next project. Learn how to take photo's.

I have a friend who is a pro photographer that is going to sit down with me.