PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI decision

Taqpol
09/21/2008, 04:24 PM
So I am finally going to break down and get my own RO/DI machine (I have been using RO the whole time, I'm just tired of stealing it from my lab of on the sixth floor and carrying five gallon jugs to my car across campus...). The two companies that have received the highest recommendations are www.thefilterguys.biz and www.buckeyefieldsupply.com as far as bang for the buck goes. They both have 75gpd systems for around $160 but the big difference seems to be that TFG have two carbon blocks (5 micron followed by .6 micron) with a separate DI stage while BFS has only one carbon block and goes Poly filter => Carbon => DI inside the main housing. Is one setup better than the others? I haven't been able to get the town water people to tell me directly if the add chloramines to the water (I know there is chlorine in it) so would the two carbon blocks be better?

I also want to non destructively pipe the water in from my cold water outlet under the sink in my apartment. What is the valve called that can just connect to the standard piping under a sink?

Taqpol
09/21/2008, 06:05 PM

Taqpol
09/22/2008, 12:46 PM
I'm probably going to make my decision today if anyone has some input for me.

tewkes
09/22/2008, 01:42 PM
I just ordered mine from thefilterguys. I spoke with them on the phone last week and they were super friendly and helpful. I don't think there's anything wrong with buckeyefield supply though. I ordered the ocean wave unit from the filter guys. It has everything I need.

AZDesertRat
09/22/2008, 02:54 PM
The Buckeye 75 GPD Premium is a much better deal. For $169 you get a handheld TDS meter, RO bypass valve, better prefilter, the same 0.6 micron carbon block, membrane and flush valve, etc.
The equivalent system from FG is $199, has a less desireable inline TDS meter which has limited uses, a more coarse prefilter, an unneeded second carbon block and does not have the RO bypass valve. It does come with an autoshutoff valve though which is needed if you want to automate your system but those are only like $8 and can be added to teh Buckeye system probably preplumbed if you request it. Buckeye will also install an adjustable flow restrictor which is also another very good item to have.

Ed Ricketts
09/26/2008, 01:02 PM
Taqpol

I hooked up a DI system for my wife's drinking purposes under the sink with a simple drill into the cold water supply for the faucet, and using some included saddle fitting to connect the system. They were old pipes to be sure, and the shutoffs were a little corroded (dicey for me, the novice), but everything worked out in about 90 minutes (mounting the new dispenser head included).

But in an apartment, there's likely a hose bib fitting you could use either on the washer/dryer fittings if there's a laundry in your apartment, or you can often hook these units up to a sink attachement intermittently when you need it, though I've never done this.

I used to cart "free" water as well. It just reminds me how much we try to save money at the expense of common sense. At least, that how I laugh at myself

But AZDesertRat is pretty widely recognized as an expert, and I'm glad to hear his input. Do the filter guys and Buckeye have value over the systems Melev is selling? Just curious, as I am days away from purchase myself.

AZDesertRat
09/26/2008, 02:16 PM
They are all very similar but come with different accessories (or necessities in some cases) and slightly different filters. Melev builds a nice unit and it works just as good as the others, the only thing is he is slightly higher priced when you look at everything you get. Buckeye has them all hands down since they include things like an inline pressure gauge, handheld TDS meter, RO bypass valve, flush valve, higher quality low micron rated prefilter, 0.6 micron high capacity carbon block etc. Other vendors may supply some of these items but none include them all. Others also for some reason still supply two carbon blocks which in not necessary and is a holdover from years gone by when carbon filters were not the quality they are today. If you want two of anything make it two DI filters not two carbons.

Taqpol
09/26/2008, 02:53 PM
Well, I actually already made my purchase from BFS (should get here on Wednesday! They had some trouble since my billing address and shipping address were different...). I thought I was going to go with TFG for a long time because of the two carbon stages, but AZDesertRat set me straight and it makes sense now. Why I thought two would be better was my water supply company never gave me a straight answer on Chloramine presence, but I live in a small college town with maybe a population of 30,000 so I doubt theres chloramines.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13430978#post13430978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ed Ricketts
I used to cart "free" water as well. It just reminds me how much we try to save money at the expense of common sense. At least, that how I laugh at myself

I know! Soon I'm going to be moving my 20 gallon over to a temporary 38 gallon before I truly upgrade to a 75/90+ and the thought of carting eight five gallon jugs back from the lab just to fill it up finally changed my mind!