PDA

View Full Version : I need a better flow

woogy
09/21/2008, 06:19 PM
I have koralia #1 and #2. When I blow off my rocks with the turkey baster it just seems like the debris just settles back down to the rocks. I have the #2 positioned in the front pointing across the top of the water towards the back where the surface skimmer is for my skimmer. The #1 is positioned in the front pointing down across the glass. Any suggestions?

metweezer
09/21/2008, 06:25 PM
I am using 2 maxijets with flow directors on my 29. One is on the back right (facing left) and the other is on my front left (facing right). It works for me.

woogy
09/21/2008, 07:58 PM
should i place one blowing across my rock? I always wondered this.

Flipper62
09/21/2008, 09:13 PM
TRY THIS....... On a 29 gal tank, you should be doing a 20% water change every 2 weeks. On your next water change, right before you start sucking the water out & cleaning the sand.......PUFF OFF the rocks & get the crap floating up in the water....Then suck it up with your syphon....After a few times of doing this in your water changes....you will see that it gets less & less every time.

It will never go away, because crap will always settle on the rocks, But if you do what I said above.....you will see that on every water change...there will be less crap.

MTB
09/21/2008, 11:32 PM
Try syphoning the debris right of the rocks with the hose before stirring it up into the water column. I use a half inch hose and it works good for me.

It does sound like you need more flow. Maybe get another #2 or maybe even a #3. It helps to have at least one blowing across the rock. If it were my tank I would do two #3's on either side of the tank, slightly pointing at the front glass towards each other.

eb8919
09/21/2008, 11:40 PM
You've got to find the happy medium where theres not too much flow but you can achieve a good water column. There will always be debris settling some where, so just as previously said, siphoning it out is a great way of reducing.

MTB
09/22/2008, 12:02 AM
I should have mentioned that I turn off all pumps while syphoning the rocks off. Makes it easier to get that stuff out.

Michael
09/22/2008, 12:05 AM
id have the phs at either end personally, pointing across the tank, and i have a koralia 1 myself, its pretty poor at turnover rate, if it were me id have 2 "s pointing at each other, however we all like different flow rates, im sure yours is fine it just needs adjustment

fivesmallworlds
09/22/2008, 07:35 AM
What do you have for filtration?