PDA

View Full Version : Nanotechnology for Aquarium

ddhuyn
09/21/2008, 07:12 PM
Hi,
I am thinking about to apply nano paritals on the surface of inside of the fish tank, which will prevent algeas/bacterial to deposit on the tank. The Nano particals on the surface is so fine which bacteria can not attach on it.

Any of you have any ideas or know any place that makes this kind of tank?

Thanks
Dung

JaredWaites
09/21/2008, 10:23 PM
Do what?

Sounds like your having trouble putting sentences together...Dung..?

Tippin' grandma's cough syrup flask again?

Reefer Steve
09/21/2008, 11:23 PM
LMAO

ddhuyn
09/21/2008, 11:56 PM
JaredWaites,
so that you dont have to clean algeas on your reef tank. The Nano surface will prevent agleas deposit on your tank.

Hormigaquatica
09/22/2008, 02:01 AM
Probably 8 or so years ago someone Id been helping set up tanks mentioned a similar idea; he did some sort of research and had found a method by which you could apply an algae resistant surface to the glass. There were some logistical and cost questions- and to date Ive never heard of anyone actually implementing it.

Im curious though, as I know Nothing about nanotechnology- say the particles applied really are so fine that a bacterium would be unable to adhere itself; wouldnt the bacterium (or perhaps a multicellular algae) just attach itself across several particles, rather than a single larger one?

Sounds like your having trouble putting sentences together...Dung..?
I dunno- I understood him perfectly well... and considering Dung Huynh is a Vietnamese name, maybe you need to lay off it a bit?

ddhuyn
09/22/2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Hormigaquatica,
When the Nano particles are so fine to nano meters, the spacing between each particle are about the same dimension. The most bacteria smallest sizes are about .2 to .3 micron meters which are too large compared to Nano meter. The bacterium itself does not have a space to adhere.

I am thinking to apply some commercial Nanotech liquid solution on the my 10G and try out to see if it can be safe for corals and fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDg2d30WVcc

ChuckLawson
09/22/2008, 11:06 AM
Interesting video. I recall seeing something a couple of months back about a Japanese toilet manufacturer doing something similar with their porcelain surface -- essentially nothing would stick to it, and they could maintain a very clean surface with much less flush water volume.

As far as applying this to a reef tank, my concern would be durability -- a scratch or a sand-scoured finish would really suck...

I wonder how this is surface is applied or achieved? I'd think it'd be problematic if the glass had to be treated before assembly -- silicon seams depend on the same micro-roughness that this attempts to eliminate...

ddhuyn
09/22/2008, 12:15 PM
There is a company in English has made a Nano Glass which does not need additional Nano-liquid to apply on.

If those glass are available, we can use for aquarium. We can remove the Nano layer by sand away the thin layer on the glass so that Silicon can be used.

willtel76
09/22/2008, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a cool idea. If you could get a sample you could put it in your tank and see if anything grows on it.

If it works I need to treat my sandbed!

ddhuyn
09/22/2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.nanosurfacesolutions.com/html/glass.html

ddhuyn
09/22/2008, 03:17 PM
http://nanoshop.open24x7.biz/catalog/index.php?cPath=4

This is what I just bought and will apply on my 30G tank internally.
Fresh water will be added and place the tank on the Sun light for couple days. My point is to see whether ageas will be adhere onto the tank. If it works, I will try with my 10G Salt water with some damsels, then corals if damsels dont show any side of sickness.

dbond
09/22/2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like the same stuff you use to treat your car window, might be a good idea to find out what the contents are first.

ddhuyn
09/22/2008, 08:48 PM
I will do that.

My long term solution is to find glass or arcylic that has HARD coated a layer of Nano-Particles on its surfaces which will assure no comtemination possible to the corals and fishes.

ChuckLawson
09/22/2008, 10:53 PM
Please keep us posted on your results!

ReefingBuddha
09/23/2008, 04:33 AM
that is an awesome video and cool technology. Have you seen the youtube video of the ball with that finish dropped in water? Pretty cool.

beaupierce
09/24/2008, 03:55 PM
updates?

DrBegalke
09/24/2008, 06:02 PM
Silver particles have been used in antibacterial coatings, not sure if it would work for algae.

That nanotec stuff seems more like the stuff used in Rain-X for windshields...

TheH
09/24/2008, 08:19 PM
I would suggest that you leave at least one face of the tank uncoated. If you see algae growing on the uncoated face but not growing on the coated faces, you'll have a better idea if it works.

ddhuyn
09/24/2008, 11:01 PM
TheH

I will coat 3 sides of my 30G tank and let's see what will be happen.
Thanks

BeanAnimal
09/25/2008, 05:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13418867#post13418867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBegalke
Silver particles have been used in antibacterial coatings, not sure if it would work for algae.

That nanotec stuff seems more like the stuff used in Rain-X for windshields...

Rain-X is just a silicone product. It repels water and causes glare.
Aquapel is a polymer product. It repels water and does not cause a glare. Neither have anything to do with nanotechnology :)

Rysam
09/25/2008, 06:29 PM
Am I the only one that pictured this when reading the first post.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo58oWW09qQ

DrBegalke
09/28/2008, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13421535#post13421535 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Rain-X is just a silicone product. It repels water and causes glare.
Aquapel is a polymer product. It repels water and does not cause a glare. Neither have anything to do with nanotechnology :)

Which is exactly my point. Anyone can call something "nano" even if it has nothing to do with true nanotechnology. iPod Nano, Nano Cube, Hydor Nano, etc.

The glass coatings marketed as "nano" are not true nanotechnology.

BeanAnimal
09/28/2008, 03:32 PM
What makes you think that the coatings are not nano structures? If each "bump" is 100nm or less and consists of its own structure attached to other like structures... then I would imagine to fits the definiton :)

Wrassemeister
10/01/2008, 12:14 AM
this will be great if it works... a product like this for fish tanks would be quite revolutionary for us, im sick of scraping algae....

LesMartin
10/01/2008, 04:59 AM
There's a company in England which manufactures aquariums. As an option they will coat the inside glass with a product which sounds similar to what you require. Although it does not prevent algae from coating the glass they claim that all it requires is a quick wipe with a finger or cloth to remove the algal film ie doesn't have to be scraped etc to get it off. The product is called ' TankGuard' A quick Google search shoiuld link you to the manufacturers.

ChuckLawson
10/01/2008, 04:23 PM
Searching on "Tankguard Aquarium" also turns up a review from Practical Fishkeeping.

Sounds interesting; I wonder if we could turn up a US distributor, or get them to ship?

ucakmakci
04/02/2013, 05:18 AM
Hi all,
Were you able to locate where this staff can be bought from?? I am starting a new tank and would like to use this technology...

I also wonder whether those of you who tried it had success with it in terms of impact on fish and corals..

Thanks,

Ufuk

Sulcata102
04/02/2013, 06:06 AM
They sell a glass that is coated with diamond seal. My local glass shop carries it. it prevents water spots and water rolls right off it. They also sell a home application version.
http://www.diamondsealusa.com/index.php
i was thinking of using it for a glass canopy. it might work for this application too. the only thing that stopped me was the testing part. just haven't had time yet.