PDA

View Full Version : unknown creatures at night - pls help

PARADISE1
09/21/2008, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone,

If anyone can point me in the right direction.. please. i tried to google and search the archives on this site.

I am in week 3 of cycling my 75 gal w/o light. It has live rock and live sand. I was warned that soon I will see "little creatures" but I am having a hard time ID them.

I saw:

1- dark gray looking slug- no shell with a gray circular patch on it's back. It's about a half an inch long and a quarter inch wide, it's body is oval shaped, the head has two anntenae. He was on the rock. As soon as I put on the flashlight... he starting moving away.

2- Moving rice ... reminded me of a small flea

3- a very tiny snail on the glass

4- flat dark brown looking thing - extremely small. It had a ring around it.. maybe from slime?

5- in a rock crevice... 2 strands of black and purple tenacle?

*My digital camera could not get them... :sad1:

I am worried now. Should I get a turkey baster and get them out?:(

Is there a book for common hitch hikers?

shuguley
09/21/2008, 09:15 PM
You can start here, it will be nearly impossible for anbody to help you without pictures.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

singold
09/21/2008, 09:34 PM
#1 sounds like a Stomatella snail. Good to have, good scavengers. They often come in as hitchhikers on live rock

TheORKINMan
09/21/2008, 09:42 PM
+1 on Stomatella for #1

PARADISE1
09/21/2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys for responding.

I've been looking online for pictures for hours... my skin is crawling! Checked #1 - it doesnt match :( . It has no shell.

I know its nearly impossible w/o pictures. I will try to play around with my camera to try again.

Thanks...

cutegecko3
09/21/2008, 11:15 PM
1-algae eating nudibrach
2-amphiopods
3-a very tiny snail
4-flatworm
5-micro-brittlestar

The best i can do without pics.

All of the above are pretty much harmless.Most people think flatworms are unsightly,me included,but they are harmless as well.

eb8919
09/21/2008, 11:24 PM
Yes the "flea" looking things are most likeley amphipods...very good sign..as far as the rest goes, its hard to say without pictures. +1 on melevs site...I've id'd alot from there.

PARADISE1
09/21/2008, 11:46 PM
Thank you so much for responding. The support here is so encouraging! I am glad I found you guys.

I will try to figure out how to take pix. I am sure there will be more creatures as I need more rock.

abulgin
09/22/2008, 04:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13399896#post13399896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cutegecko3
1-algae eating nudibrach
2-amphiopods
3-a very tiny snail
4-flatworm
5-micro-brittlestar

The best i can do without pics.

All of the above are pretty much harmless.Most people think flatworms are unsightly,me included,but they are harmless as well.

I agree 80 percent :). #1 is a stomatella--that small disk you see on the back is a shell. These snails hate light, which is why it run for the hills when you shine it.

will16
09/22/2008, 05:45 AM
Don't think you have anything to worry about....except maybe the flatworm but that can also be nothing (depends on the kind and how many). Wouldn't worry about any of that for now. Sounds completely normal

PARADISE1
09/22/2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys. If I can figure how to take a pix, I will post it. You guys are awesome.