PDA

View Full Version : Should I exspect some losses?

rogergolf66
09/22/2008, 05:38 AM
Well I made what I thought was a small adjustment to my CO2 count just before bed last night and I woke up to the co2 going crazy at about 60 bubbles per min. well on my old reactor this was no big deal but on the new one well my ph in the DT was down to 7.41 I added a small amount of 2 part to raise it up to 7.6 how fast should I raise it, and how will my SPS react to this situation?

Thanks Roger

MCsaxmaster
09/22/2008, 07:48 AM
The pH drop in and of itself will probably be tolerable. There are a few recent studies that have examined coral calcification (or dissolution) down to a pH as low as 7.0. All of the corals survived, but the skeletons of some did dissolve within a few weeks. I think most corals should be able to survive this without a hitch.

I'd turn the calcium reactor off (assuming you haven't) and aerate heavily. pH will rise over the course of the day as CO2 diffuses out of the water. I'd also get measurments for calcium and alkalinity as those could be elevated (especially alkalinity since it rises proportionally faster when CaCO3 is dissolved). You can also go ahead and turn the lights on. Photosynthesis will take up CO2 and help the pH rise.

rogergolf66
09/22/2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks I did turn the CO2 off. I had this on a controller to but it failed :(

SS7
09/22/2008, 05:46 PM
I had my system running consistently to 7.5 in the evenings for several weeks and everything was healthy and growing. I feel confident your corals will be fine.

rogergolf66
09/22/2008, 06:34 PM
Everything looks fine as of now and I have the ph back where it normally is.

Thanks Roger

Airwolf75
09/22/2008, 06:40 PM
My whole 5lb bottle emptied on a free flow regulator into a 75 gallon once. it bubbled back up the intake. it bleached a few corals, but they later recovered.

pitbullguy
09/24/2008, 01:23 AM
Should be ok, if everything looks good I would not worry, make sure there is not a film on top of your water