PDA

View Full Version : new Potters Angel won't eat

reefyredfish
09/22/2008, 04:16 PM
That's right... He ate some Omega one flake at the store but after day 3 of going right into my DT he will not eat brine, flake, gel cube for angel fish. Nothing! He does graze on the rocks so I'm not real concerned. The yellow tang I got at the same time is eating everything. Absolutely beautiful fish otherwise. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jimgldn
09/22/2008, 05:07 PM
Give him some time. He will eat soon.

Cheers,
Jim

JamesJR
09/22/2008, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, this is not all that uncommon with new potters angels.
They can be tough to get to feed.

kenny77
09/22/2008, 10:15 PM
have you try blackworms?

dones20
09/23/2008, 09:49 AM
agreed potters can sometimes be finiky eaters in the beggining is he in qt if he is and hes on his own he has a much better chance to fair out just give him some time i got my regal last week on tuesday and still has not excepted any preped foods ocassionaly he will try a mysid shrimp and spit back out ive heard story of fish going weeks without any food and finally begin to feed on aquarium fair

Iostream
09/23/2008, 09:58 AM
My potters took almost 2 months to eat prepared foods. I started by putting Nori in for an hour or so every few days, but it wouldn't touch it or any other prepared food I fed to the tank for about 2 months. After 2 months it went for the nori first, and eventually frozen and pellet food. Now it is the pig of the tank, going after pretty much any food as soon as it is added. Hang in there, they usually come around.

Toddrtrex
09/23/2008, 01:39 PM
Mine started eating the first day, and has been a pig every since. Along with grazing on the rocks all day long, it eats; Rod's food ( both types ) Spectrum pellets, LifeLine's Herbivore mix, Prime Reef, and mysis. Pretty much anything that I feed it will eat.

biger
09/23/2008, 03:13 PM
Did you try live brine shrimp? That's what I got mine to start feeding on and now eats everything I put in.

haitwun
09/24/2008, 12:16 AM
How old is your tank? If it is a well established tank, the little guy is probably eating your amphipods. If this is the case, I wouldn't worry too much.
Keep offering it a variety of food and especially live food. Try live black worms, live brine shrimp, live ghost shrimp, and super-fresh clams.

reefyredfish
09/24/2008, 06:37 AM
The tank is about 2 years old w/ about 100 lbs. of LR. Yea I'm not to worried, but I
will try and find some live food. Thanks! I just found it odd that the little guy would
eat flake in the store and then nothing prepared when I got him home. We'll see.

AquaPython
09/24/2008, 08:21 AM
you guys with potters, are they in reef tanks with SPS? how do they fare?

reefyredfish
09/24/2008, 08:40 AM
It's great! Mostly LPS a few SPS. Picks at the rocks only. Besides I have some
blue aphelia and pulsing xenia that couls use some thinning out.

AquaPython
09/24/2008, 08:47 AM
he eats the xenia?

reefyredfish
09/24/2008, 08:49 AM
NO! I've just read where dwarf angels mainly potters are proned to pick
at LPS. AmI wrong in understanding this?

AquaPython
09/24/2008, 08:53 AM
lps i havent heard. my brother kept a flame that munched on some SPS.

Iostream
09/24/2008, 08:59 AM
LPS and clams are all I have heard as well. Mine leaves all of my corals alone, both SPS and LPS.

mrp2g
09/24/2008, 09:43 AM
I just recently got a 3 inch potters for my reef. He is currently in the fuge, I am assuming tearing up my pod population. I do shoot some mysis down with a baster, but no luck yet.
He's been there for 4 days and looks really good IMO!!
Good Luck and keep us posted...

Ironsheikh
09/24/2008, 10:04 AM
my potters didnt eat anything for a while....lived off the live rock then all of the sudden started eating everything....even other fishes feces (I never did like to see that ) blaah

reefyredfish
09/24/2008, 10:16 AM
Does anyone have pics of these beautiful fish to share? I rarely see them in the store and the one I got was the only one in a large LFS. I try to get a pic soon. i know they all look different with amount of yellow/orange to deep purple changing and stripes being like thumb prints. It may be biased but mine would be hard to beat compared to others (pics) I've seen. I choose it over the more common Flame angel I've wanted fro years.

Toddrtrex
09/24/2008, 10:40 AM
Here is a recent picture of mine,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/all4-1.jpg

And an older picture,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Potterangel.jpg

t5Nitro
09/24/2008, 03:06 PM
Live Aquaria's site labels these as expert only. Any reason for that? Just because it appears, as others are saying, they don't eat for a long time (usually) after being transported? I would love to get one of these and an emperor angel. I'm just afraid of both of them in terms of maybe not eating and the emperor getting some lateral line thing and ich :lol:

Iostream
09/24/2008, 03:31 PM
The eating bit is the only thing I can think of. I am guessing they have a higher mortality rate in FO tanks because there is less chance that the tank can sustain a food source long enough for them to come around. Once they take to prepared foods, they are fairly good fish, eat well, and easy to care for.

adtravels
09/25/2008, 07:26 AM
heres mine his tail has grown back and it is healthy, had it for 2 weeks not eating yet but constantly picking at pods and algae, getting some confidence now but only 1 inch long.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/113133IMG_1921.jpg

Apercula
09/26/2008, 01:00 AM
Here is mine, I bought it on the 10th, this picture was taken in a collection cup after acclimation but before being added to my quarantine tank.
Mine is pretty shy so Ive not directly observed it strongly eating, I have seen it nip a the mysis Ive been feeding, but judging by the quantity of poop it is leaving in the tank it must be eating when I leave.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/Ganrin/potters.jpg

It is about an inch and a half, and the tear in the tail was healed up the next day.

HomeSlizzice
09/26/2008, 02:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13416015#post13416015 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Here is a recent picture of mine,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/all4-1.jpg

And an older picture,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Potterangel.jpg

Is your Potters a male or a female? I have heard that males have more blue on them while females are mainly orange with a little blue is this true?

michael_cb_125
09/26/2008, 02:10 PM
I have heard the same thing.

Kinda off subject, but have you ever seen the Blue morph?
I will try to find a picture, but it is a morph that occurs in very deep water. The orange is completely absent. They are so cool looking.
So this shows that the color of these fish is not a great way to determine sex. If it was the deep water blue specimens would be like "super Males" :)
~Michael
~Michael

Toddrtrex
09/26/2008, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13431379#post13431379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HomeSlizzice
Is your Potters a male or a female? I have heard that males have more blue on them while females are mainly orange with a little blue is this true?

You know, I wish that I knew, but as of right now I have no idea what it is, sorry.

HomeSlizzice
09/26/2008, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13431418#post13431418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michael_cb_125
I have heard the same thing.

Kinda off subject, but have you ever seen the Blue morph?
I will try to find a picture, but it is a morph that occurs in very deep water. The orange is completely absent. They are so cool looking.
So this shows that the color of these fish is not a great way to determine sex. If it was the deep water blue specimens would be like "super Males" :)
~Michael
~Michael

You mean this guy

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh35/ST1_Kahuna/PottersAngelfishbluemorph.jpg

michael_cb_125
09/26/2008, 02:57 PM
Yep thats the one....Sweet
~Michael

HomeSlizzice
09/26/2008, 03:13 PM
I was right about the male/female thing, males do have more blue in them. And Toddrtrex from the older pic it looks like your Potters is a male.

Heres a link to the sight I found Potters Angelfish info (http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fish_of_month/past_fom/fom_04_04.htm)

unbreakable
09/26/2008, 04:58 PM
just picked one of these guys up. i had to break down my tank to remove the halfblack that was in there. had the lfs hold the potter's for more than a week and it didnt eat prepared foods, but i went today and i asked if it started feeding and it did. hes in the tank, still shy but hes been grazing. it has a lot of blue towards the tail, great looking fish