PDA

View Full Version : A Change in Flow...

zambavi
09/22/2008, 05:34 PM
I'm interested in your thoughts here. The pair of Tunze 6060's I have I believe are just too much flow for my 75g. My aquascaping is essentially just a 100 pound wall of live rock on the back half of the tank. This tank will be predominately zoos, softies and LPS. I'm thinking about doing the "Hydor 2-Way Basic Wavemaker with 2 x Koralia 3 Controllable Pumps/Powerheads" From what i've read and the nature of what I want for this tank I believe the 2 K3's will be what I need but am unsure as to if I should go to a pair of K2's or up to the pair of K4's. Thoughts? I plan on putting one on each end of the tank with the flow to cross paths in the front center of tank...

zambavi
09/23/2008, 12:53 PM
No Comments? I have a couple of weeks before I'll be introducing about 30-40 coral frags. Hope to get some opinion and feedback before then.

zambavi
09/23/2008, 05:05 PM
So here are a couple of options I'm considering...

1. Red Sea Wave Maker w/ 2 x Maxi-Jet MP1200 w/ Upgrade Kit (1600/2100gph each) - about $290 w/ Magnet mounts

2. Koralia Wave Maker w/ 2 x Koralia 4 (1400gph each) - about $410

3. Tunze 7091 single Controller w/ Branch adaptor and photo cell w/ 2 x Tunze 6065 Streams (1700gph each) - about $430

4. Red Sea Wave Maker w/ 2 x Tunze 6065 Streams (1700gph each) - about $470

The EcoTechs in this flow range are just too expensive for me to consider. Are there any other 2 power head/wavemaker combos I should be looking at sub $500? Any positives or negatives on any of these 4 options listed?

Amphiprion
09/23/2008, 06:03 PM
Before you ever downgrade, consider changing the positioning around. You could always (I know this sounds scary) try trimming down the outlet nozzle by about 1/2, which will make a much, much broader stream. That should make a big difference without spending more money.

hansmatt
09/23/2008, 06:59 PM
I don't believe the tunze 6065 is a controllable powerhead. It is either on or off, the new style of the 6060 I think? The 6055 is a nanostream, which is controllable and more money. I have two nano6045's and a 6025, all of which have the shroud mod, and pump out great flow with a small space. They are in my 90 peninsula, highly mixed including sps. If you don't need to control (I agree it would be nice) the nanostreams are small and perfect for a 4foot tank .

zambavi
09/24/2008, 02:01 AM
yes hansmatt... the 6065 is the comparable to the old bulky 6060. I'll check out the nanostreams... thanks for the input; that may be what I need. I would like to do a control like the red sea wave maker though. I really only have room in my 75 considering my live rock to do 2 ph one near the top on the left side pointing right and near the middle on the right side point left.

Amphiprion... your right... it sounds scary... I'm just a little chicken to go carving on $200 ph's. Downgrading a little is two part for me. It seems way too much flow for the size tank and the 6060's are so bulky. Would like something with a smaller footprint in my tank and that won't blow the corals over on their heads. I am planning on doing a 300g FOWLR lagoon within the year and thought I'd move those big guys into that to move the place around. So I'm ok with spending a few bucks to make it right for my 75 reef. Thanks for the feedback... are their any DIY threads out there on cutting a bulky Tunze for a wider dispersal of flow?