PDA

View Full Version : New SPS System, Need Advice

LegendLand
09/23/2008, 01:58 AM
My new tank has finished cycling & coral is now doing good & growing (Zoas,Hammer,Favia,) this will be a 98% SPS system, thing is i dont know how to tell if i have enough flow, my Porites has not shown its polyps yet, but the flow is enough to dish the sand out around it.. the flow is creating little tornado's from the sand & dishing it out around the sides of the glass... is this enough flow ? polyps on other corals seem to have high flow on them as well.

baitshopboy
09/23/2008, 05:59 AM
I dont know cause I'm new to SPS but they are prolly gunna need to know what your using....powerheads, return from sump etc....

secrest
09/23/2008, 07:27 AM
I agree, it would help to know how much flow you have in there. Also, how recently did you get the porites? It may take some time to adjust to your system.

I almost sounds to me like you might have too much flow or need to at least redirect it so that it's not kicking up sand.

If the porites is constantly getting blasted with sand, that can cause it not to show any PE.

LegendLand
09/23/2008, 08:41 AM
Flow is from Filtration, about 600 gph....more from Maxi-Jets about another 600 gph of flow, style is rotating in a circle, with each pump blasting the glass walls on each side, & the filtration aiming in the center of the tank.

the porites is almost 5 months old, it was taken from my old 30g tank that crashed over month ago, it has not showed any polyps since then..98% of all corals survived the transfer & small cycle of the new tank..& are doing great..

the tank water is

Nitrites, = 0
Nitrates = 0
Ammonia = 0
PH (having troubles..was 7.8 this morning, i buffered it to 8.4)
DKH = ?
Calc = ?

(out of test kits for the last 2, will get that tested today)