PDA

View Full Version : Is Reef Optix 3+ hammertone?

DeadlySchnauzer
09/23/2008, 05:35 AM
I was interested in getting this reflector as it seemed to be one of the better small profile DE bulb units that wasn't hammertone.

I have seen lots of photos that seem to show non hammertone reef optix units, however the photo on the manufacturers website shows it as hammertone...

So any owners out there, is it hammertone or not? :)

thanks

PaulErik
09/23/2008, 11:46 AM
The old version has a smooth metal reflector and the new models have a dimpled metal reflector.

Stoney G
09/23/2008, 09:35 PM
It's a new dimpled material from Germany. I saw the Elite fixture at MACNA and the box had information on it about the material. It's not the old hammertone material. "it's the highest reflective and has the best diffusion factor of any aluminum to date" you can also read about it on the Alonad website which is the company in Germany that makes the material. I think its called 0093 or something like that.

kdblove_99
09/23/2008, 09:49 PM
Why dont you want the hammertone? I have the Lumenmax elite and love it. Much nicer for me than the lumenarc i had. I can touch the Elite anywhere after it has been on and there are no hot spots the hammer disperces it nicely IME

DeadlySchnauzer
09/23/2008, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13413251#post13413251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kdblove_99
Why dont you want the hammertone?

My understanding was that while any kind of hammertone surface smooths out the light distribution, it does so at the cost of lowering the overall light output (some % of the light that reflects off a surface bump bounces back up away from the water, and/or inter-reflects multiple times before hitting the water).

So if you are happy to live with hot spots, non-hammertone surfaces will give you a better overall PAR output (all other things being equal).

I must admit I have no idea how much of a practical difference this makes, but i was figuring that with a 150W system i would rather have hot spots (those are where the acros go :) than some % lower light output.

This newer material sounds interesting thou, will have to check it out.

kdblove_99
09/23/2008, 10:42 PM
From the numbers i have heard the elite giving i have to disagree about giving lower PAR readings

DeadlySchnauzer
09/24/2008, 02:55 AM
Yeah i was just reading up on the elite now... starting to make me change my mind. Anyone know if elites can be used with 175W bulbs?

kdblove_99
09/24/2008, 03:23 AM
Yes it does

LumenMax Elite SE
• Accomodates 175/250/400 watt single ended lamps
• High performance 95% reflective German aluminum reflector
• Rust-proof and light-weight aluminum frame
• Quick release mounting bracket