PDA

View Full Version : Two Fading Corals

Amazon4
09/23/2008, 12:24 PM
I have two corals that have faded since I've added them to the 180. Just can't figure out why. All othere SPS are doing great.

The two in question are: Tubs Crayola and a pink with blue polyped stylo.

Both under (new) 250MH 14K Pheonix (x 3) in a standard 180.

Param's
Calc 380-400
DKH 9
Mag 1300
PH 8.35
Temp 78
Phos/trates/trites/ammo zero

The Crayola is on a rock a little more than half way up in direct lighting. The stylo was on the sand bed, under direct light.

They've slowly faded over the last three months (since we got them).

I've been afraid to move them because I don't understand if this is from too little light, or too much light (doubtful). Also, maybe there's something out of whack in my numbers that I don't see.

There is a very small bioload in the tank: 7" scribbled rabbtfish, 3" scopas, and a 2" ywg (plus some cuc).

In addition to feeding a wide variety to the fish, I feed the corals with rotifers (frozen), golden perals, and reef chile a couple of times a week. I tried to feed more but get an algae bloom on the glass.

So, I'm stumped. BTW both have great polyp extention, and the Tubs has encrusted on to the rock, so it's growing.

If I move them up, how long until I would see improvement if it was caused from too little light?

Amazon4
09/24/2008, 08:41 AM
bump....no ideas? I guess I am justifiably stumped ;)

Shadowramy
09/24/2008, 04:39 PM
Add a couple drops of ESV iodide and see if that helps. 1 drop per 25 usg.

This will help bring out some blues

Mykel Obvious
09/24/2008, 06:57 PM
Could be a low nutrient issue... I've read about some SPS fading with a low bioload and heavy skimming (carbon dosing can exacerbate this effect from what I've read)... the usual answer I've seen is dose Amino Acids or get more fish and feed heavier or both

"Bleaching" is usually too much light or too high a temp and possibly the above nutrient issue... and I run my tank at 81-85 without problems... only time I get bleaching is when I overdose Mag, which causes lighter colors in all my SPS and LPS at the same time...

It could be that the corals were just dark from the source tank, or any combination of the above... photos would help decided if they are just in a transition to another color or if they are in trouble