PDA

View Full Version : Effects of to much GFO

an411
09/24/2008, 08:29 AM
I was wondering if there is any ill effects of running to much gfo in a reactor?

I am currently using bulkreefsupply GFO on a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and I am wondering what the correct amount to use would be it says start with 2 grams per gallon then move to 3-5 after a few months.

There is 150 pounds of LR and 100 Pounds of sand and the sump is a little more then half full. I have been estimating for 160 gallons. I think I need to estimate for about 100-120 due to the rock and sand taking up water volume.

Back to my first question adding the extra gfo have any ill effects to the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/24/2008, 08:32 AM
Too much could possibly cause phosphate to go too low and might cause some organisms to eventually die. macroalgae, for example.

Do you currently have an algae problem?

an411
09/24/2008, 08:53 AM
yeah I am having an issue with algae and trying to figure out the cause its driving me crazy.

Currently I have 4 fish that I feed frozen food 3 times a week turn the powerheads off I know I am not overfeeding cause I feed them a little less then 1/2 a cube.

Running GFO.

Just added chaeto which doubled in size in about a week.

lights are only 6 months old.

20 gallon water change every week.

It seems to be a hair algae I am getting pics up tonight but it looks like a clear film on the rock like the start of hair algae then the power heads and spots on the rocks are brown and hairy.

Any insight ideas would be appreciated.

an411
09/24/2008, 08:54 AM
Where is all this nutrients coming from what other sources of phosphates and nitrates. also using ro/di with 1 month old cartridges.

StupidsReef
09/24/2008, 10:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13415228#post13415228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by an411
I was wondering if there is any ill effects of running to much gfo in a reactor?

I am currently using bulkreefsupply GFO on a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and I am wondering what the correct amount to use would be it says start with 2 grams per gallon then move to 3-5 after a few months.

Back to my first question adding the extra gfo have any ill effects to the tank

I just bought the dual reactor from them and the pellet sized media as well. After speaking with a few folks on here, I came to the conclusion that 2-3 grams per gallon might be to much. To help keep from "shocking" the tank and ripping out too much phosphate I went with 1 gram per gallon. So I would recommend starting out with the least amount you can. Moving very slowly and taking your time.:)

an411
09/24/2008, 10:20 AM
I have been running a phosphan reactor for a while probably about 6 months I am just wondering if running to much was reaching something back into the water or something. Also what about the carbon can that leach anything back into the water.

The only other thing I can think of is what about tempature swings I have been trying to get them under control I have added fans but would the temp effect the algae growth?

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/24/2008, 10:21 AM
Where is all this nutrients coming from what other sources of phosphates and nitrates.

Fish food is the normal source.

If you have a substantial algae problem, there is less concern about using too much GFO. :)

an411
09/24/2008, 11:02 AM
That is what I don't understand Randy with the amount that I feed it can't be that adding that much I am going to go back to rinsing the food prior to Feeding. But there is gotta be something else that is causing the algae. is there any other parameters that will cause algae outbreaks such as mag, cal or alk. Cause I haven't been testing for those lately since I do not have many corals in the tank anymore? I mean my nitrates and phosphates are undetectable but that is cause they are getting absorbed by the algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/24/2008, 11:33 AM
Algae ALWAYS needs nutrients, and little else. If you have problem green algae, then it is getting nitrogen and phosphorus that you cna intercept and try to reduce the algae. Foods contain a large amount of nitrogen and phosphate, and they must as it is present in every living cell. :)

an411
09/24/2008, 12:03 PM
So maybe feeding less food twice a day instead of the same amount once a day and rinsing before using is probably the best that I am going to get to eliminate excess nitrogen and phosphates?

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/24/2008, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure why spreading out the feeding will help. I'd focus more on additional nutrient export if you believe that you are feeding an appropriate amount for the fish you have. :)

an411
09/24/2008, 12:38 PM
ya that is true well I am going to see how the system is gonna do with the cheato in there which i just added about a week ago I mean I don't know any other way to export any nutrients other then what I am doing

Creetin
09/24/2008, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13415771#post13415771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StupidsReef
I just bought the dual reactor from them and the pellet sized media as well. After speaking with a few folks on here, I came to the conclusion that 2-3 grams per gallon might be to much. To help keep from "shocking" the tank and ripping out too much phosphate I went with 1 gram per gallon. So I would recommend starting out with the least amount you can. Moving very slowly and taking your time.:)

I have ran up to a 1/4 lb with no ill effect. Just added about 8 cups to my geo reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/24/2008, 01:10 PM
I don't know any other way to export any nutrients other then what I am doing

I think the GFO is your best bet, at least short term. Maybe more of it or changed more frequently. :)

matthewscars
09/24/2008, 01:41 PM
just remember to change the media every 3-4 weeks. my carbon smells like skimate (for obvious reasons) when i change it. I imagine it can leech back if not changed on a proper schedule.

an411
09/24/2008, 01:47 PM
Alright I am going to change them both tomorrow during water change and then change them every 4 weeks from now on and see if that helps at all. I really appreciate the help. I usually can figure out what is causing the algae issues but this time I really had no clue at least I have a few things to try now.