PDA

View Full Version : Aquatraders.com T5 / CF questions

Firesole
09/24/2008, 12:28 PM
I am in need of new bulbs for my light hood. I currently have a used hood that I got from a friend. It is an Odyssea 4x65w CF fixture. It has worked very good so far so I'm not too worried about sticking w/ the same brand from Aquatraders. My question is;

1) Has anyone used the 4x54w T5 fixture?
I know at one time there was an issue with the ballasts but I have heard that has been solved.

2) Will I get better performance from it than replacing the bulbs on my CFs?

3) How many T5 bulbs do I need to run on tanks that are 90-120 gal.?

I want to move up to at least a 90 gallon tank from my 55 gallon now. I want to upgrade to T5 lighting and right now just can't justify the price for other 6 or 8 bulb fixtures. I thought that I could buy one 4 bulb fixture now and then later on when I get a larger tank buy another and run the two or gut them and make my own hood. At that time I can upgrade the ballasts and reflectors but will already have the other hardware.

And last, Aquatraders has a listing next to the T5 hood for a T6 fixture. I have not seen or heard of anyone mentioning a T6 bulb. 4) Do they exist?

There is too many places where it says T6 for it to be a simple typo. I'm curious about this because it has the multiple power cords that I want which the T5 hood does not.

5)If this is a different assembly is there any way to modify the T5 hood with only one cord so that I can use multiple timers???

WinnipegDragon
09/24/2008, 01:56 PM
T5HOs are equivalent to CFs *unless* you get individual reflectors, then they are equivalent to MHs.

I don't think the Odyssea stuff has individual reflectors.

WinnipegDragon
09/24/2008, 02:10 PM
Some other answers that I can provide...

3) 6 bulbs for a 90g, 8 for a 120g, again assuming you have individual reflectors.

4) T6 is not reef-quality lighting.

I've never used the Odyssea stuff, so I can't answer the rest.

Firesole
09/24/2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks, anyone else???