PDA

View Full Version : Glass Top

mnm1953
09/24/2008, 01:54 PM
I converted my 90 gal freshwater over to salt. I was using a glass cover over the tank and continuing to do so. But I have read that many use egg crate and fish netting and some others. Why is not glass used. My guess is it restricts light?

Once again thanks for all the help I received here.

rfd515
09/24/2008, 01:57 PM
Restricts light and gas exchange, also can cause heat buildup depending on your lighting etc

greggnyce
09/24/2008, 02:32 PM
Egg crate also restricts the light, that is its purpose.

matthewscars
09/24/2008, 02:46 PM
some guy made netting to put over it. i forget the link.

i just go topless.

ludnix
09/24/2008, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13417514#post13417514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greggnyce
Egg crate also restricts the light, that is its purpose.

Egg crate is meant to keep light going in one direction, down. That's not nearly the same as light being blocked by glass that is increasingly opaque.

What lighting do you have mnm1953?

Simon68
09/24/2008, 04:17 PM
Getting rid of my glass tops was the best thing I ever did.
I went to home depot, got a window screen making kit and used netting I found in the outdoor dept there that's officially made to keep deers out, but it's the same as bird netting.
I am TOTALLY not handy and this was a real easy project that anyone can do. I would highly recommend it.

tmz
09/24/2008, 05:57 PM
A bit of light will be lost ,particularly if you don't keep the glass clean. The lack of open water can restrict gas exchange and cause a CO2 build up,as can water with inadequate flow at the surface. Evaporation will be slowed which is good for limiting top of but bad for potential heat issues.

The catch is that lot's of fish jump out of uncovered tanks. If you have open water in your sump or use screening it will help. Egg crate doesn't block much light. It doesn't stop most fish either. They tend to get caught by the gills and hang there.

greggnyce
09/24/2008, 06:29 PM
Egg crate is used to diffuse light, this is a fact. Go speak to an electrician.

tmz
09/24/2008, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13419027#post13419027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greggnyce
Egg crate is used to diffuse light, this is a fact. Go speak to an electrician. How much does it block? Since you made the point I don't want t call an electrician so would appreciate the info from you.

otisforme
09/24/2008, 08:10 PM
i go topless... i just feels right

i have not had a jumper in six months or any temp issues... just evaporation witch is easy to take care of...

tewkes
09/24/2008, 09:35 PM
I'm currently topless but when I get my new upgrade finished in my basement I'm going with glass covers on the display. I'll leave the sump/fuge uncovered (they are in the room behind the tank). I've had several jumpers with the open top. In my new tank I plan on keeping a little more expensive/rare fish and don't want to take the chanceof jumping. Plus with the tank in the basement heat issues won't be an issue. Actually I look forward to the glass tops keeping some of the heat in there during the winter months.

tmz
09/24/2008, 09:39 PM
It is ideal in my opinion if you can cover your displays and have open water in your system elsewhere. My open water is in the basement sump and tanks which are integrated. Humidity can become an issue with significant amounts.

DaveBien
09/24/2008, 09:49 PM
Diffusion, directing and blocking are all different. Eggcrate directs light with a lttle bit for blocking (very little) because of the plastic cross hatching. If you've ever looked up into eggcrate it sure doesn't seem to be diffused, LOL (Not that I've done that, LOL). Solid covers on FLs diffuse light, unlike open eggcrate.

I don't even play an electrician on here but I'm just trying to apply a little common observation.