PDA

View Full Version : acro bleachin question

JKDMan
09/24/2008, 08:36 PM
i have these 2 colonies of acros one small and one medium(small grapefruit) that have some bleaching going on ... my Mh bulbs have needed to be replaced for about 2-3 months i replaced them today..water quality is good..my question is what to do with the parts that are bleached out...on the small acro its bleachin on the tips and some of the branches...the mediums sized colony has some branches bleached and some area of the base is bleached out also.
what can i do to help this things chances...should i wait for a while and see if the zoozanthelle return with the refreshed lighting?...the bleached ends of branches ,should i break em off ?

any info would be great thx

Reef Newb11
09/24/2008, 08:44 PM
do the bleached parts still show polyp extension?

JKDMan
09/24/2008, 09:12 PM
nope

reefer334
09/25/2008, 09:38 AM
Sounds like heat problem.

I had the same thing happen and it was because my tabk was getting to hot due to a faulty thermometer.

If it is not to bad they will come back if you correct the problem that is making them mad.

Chris

JKDMan
09/25/2008, 01:10 PM
my tanks temp is pretty stable..i dont think thats the problem

trippkid
09/25/2008, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13424036#post13424036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JKDMan
my tanks temp is pretty stable..i dont think thats the problem

Not saying that it is your issue, but so was mine until I checked it against another thermometer(manual one), my digital cheapo unit from Coralife was 10-11 degrees off, here I thought the tank was running at 78-79 and it was more like 89-90 for about a month or so(maybe not quite that long, but too long for my liking). Only lost a couple of new frags so far, will be surprised if nothing else decides to go. Make sure you adjust you lighting schedule for the new light bulbs, don't want to cause any more damage from the new, brighter bulbs. Good luck, I hope you start seeing signs of regeneration on these pieces. The parts that are dead or think are dead I would frag off, these are spots where algae can start to grow and then effect other good parts of the coral, or at least won't let that spot recover with new tissue.
Matt

reefer334
09/25/2008, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13424727#post13424727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trippkid
Not saying that it is your issue, but so was mine until I checked it against another thermometer(manual one), my digital cheapo unit from Coralife was 10-11 degrees off, here I thought the tank was running at 78-79 and it was more like 89-90 for about a month or so(maybe not quite that long, but too long for my liking). Only lost a couple of new frags so far, will be surprised if nothing else decides to go. Make sure you adjust you lighting schedule for the new light bulbs, don't want to cause any more damage from the new, brighter bulbs. Good luck, I hope you start seeing signs of regeneration on these pieces. The parts that are dead or think are dead I would frag off, these are spots where algae can start to grow and then effect other good parts of the coral, or at least won't let that spot recover with new tissue.
Matt

I had the exact same problem with the same thermometer Corallife products are not very good!!!

My tank got to 92:eek1:

I actually posted a similar thread to this one and said the same thing my temp is fine but it was not.

As soon as I added a chiller I noticed a huge improvement.

Chris

trippkid
09/25/2008, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13427076#post13427076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer334
I had the exact same problem with the same thermometer Corallife products are not very good!!!

My tank got to 92:eek1:

I actually posted a similar thread to this one and said the same thing my temp is fine but it was not.

As soon as I added a chiller I noticed a huge improvement.

Chris

Yeah, I saw that thread, mine just happened(I guess I just noticed this week, your thread got me thinking, so THANK YOU!) My computer has been going on the fritz these past couple of weeks, making it very hard to post. Finally got a new one so no problems as of yet(computer that is). I dropped my temp back down rather quickly about 3 days, I'm thinking this may have been a little to quick. One of my Mille's is not looking so well, can't tell if it is from that though, just recently moved it from not much light to blasting it. Looked ok yesterday, today the base is all bleached and some of the branches look very stressed. Win some, you lose some I guess in this area of the hobby.

Sorry OP for side-tracking the thread.
Matt

reefer334
09/26/2008, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13427339#post13427339 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trippkid
Yeah, I saw that thread, mine just happened(I guess I just noticed this week, your thread got me thinking, so THANK YOU!) My computer has been going on the fritz these past couple of weeks, making it very hard to post. Finally got a new one so no problems as of yet(computer that is). I dropped my temp back down rather quickly about 3 days, I'm thinking this may have been a little to quick. One of my Mille's is not looking so well, can't tell if it is from that though, just recently moved it from not much light to blasting it. Looked ok yesterday, today the base is all bleached and some of the branches look very stressed. Win some, you lose some I guess in this area of the hobby.

Sorry OP for side-tracking the thread.
Matt

Thanks Matt,

They should not even sell those things!!!!

I had 5 of them and they all read different!!!!

I am glad my thread helped someone.

And Thanks to all that replied to my original thread,
I now double check all of my tests sometimes triple check LOL.

Chris