PDA

View Full Version : White masses on the fins of a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly

falconut
09/25/2008, 11:38 AM
I don't have any photos. So, I'll try to describe it. The fish has these white masses (1/16" - 1/8") on it's fins. It definitely doesn't look like any ich or velvet that I've ever seen, so I doubt that's what it is.

I did some research on the web and found something called lymphocystis virus. So far, this sounds like what it could be. I couldn't really find any good photos to compare with.

Is there any other type of disease that it could possibly be bassed on my limited description?

Does anybody know a good site that shows photos of different diseases that I could browse?

dones20
09/25/2008, 08:00 PM
fpost some pics and i will tell you if its lymphocystis or not from wat you are describing it does sound like lympho which is a virus and is some wat of a pain to cure the cause of this virus is almost always extreme stress the best thing to do with a fish that has this is to let them be on there own with pristene water params and make sure no other fish are stressing him this disease is usualy seen on fish that are handled and shipped under extremely stressful conditions make sure to feed enough and if you can put him into qt

limitdown
09/25/2008, 10:13 PM
Yup, sounds like lymph.
Caused by virus, No known cure .
It's somewhat contagious, but it's usually not deadly. It's just really annoying cuz the clumps can stay on the fish for 2mths+.
If only one or 2 fish have it, consider moving them to a QT to keep it from spreading. Else, just keep them in the DT and keep up the water quality.

falconut
09/26/2008, 05:46 AM
It's actually on a fish I'm considering at the LFS. It would be going into a QT.

dones20
09/26/2008, 09:42 AM
lympho virus is deadly i have had some severe cases for example i had a french angel that got it so bad that he looked like the marshmallow man from ghost busters and yes the fish did dies almost all my fish that have goten this virus have died and ive had about 4-5 if these cases in my time of 10yrs and they were all angels except for one time it was a copper band butterfly like i said aBove keep stress to min and he should pull through as long as the conditions are proper and its caught on time if the virus worsens to this point were it spreades heavily i would catch this fish and scrape the lumps of

NCSUsalt
09/26/2008, 11:25 PM
I've never had a fish die from lympho, and that includes my own as well as the fish from both stores I work at. Had a swallowtail at work that had a bad case a few weeks ago, actually sprouted a unicorn like huge growth of it, looks fine today and still eating like a horse. If the fish is eating at the store, get them to nock some off the price for the lympho and take him home. it'll clear up in a few weeks.

cybrsufr
09/27/2008, 10:47 PM
Lympho does not kill fish. It can look ugly but will eventually go away. A lot of articles do attribute it to stress such as just in from wholesalers, or just put in your tank, etc. There is not much you can do for it at all, just like most human viruses. You just have to wait it out for the fishes immune system fights it off. Keep the water clean and make sure they are eating well with the addition of additives like Zoecon or Selcon and Garlic.

Steven Pro
09/28/2008, 06:35 AM
Lymphocystis is deadly only in a few, very extreme cases. Most of the time, it goes away on its own, as there is no treatment for fish viruses. Extreme cases might require surgical removal, but is usually not warranted.