PDA

View Full Version : New anemone, Can't feed it

Nyxe
09/25/2008, 06:49 PM
Hello. I purchased a green bta two weeks ago. After moving around in my tank (and luckily not killing anything in its path), I think it has finally found its "permanent" home (it hasn't moved from its spot in a little over a week).

However, there's a slight problem.

It's in the rear of the tank behind the rock work. It managed to settle in the only spot that's completely inaccessible to me without disassembling my aquascape. I can't reach it with chopsticks or anything because of where he settled.

I can't feed him. I've tried shooting a piece of shrimp at it with a turkey baster, I've tried chopsticks, I've tried skewering it on a long plastic stick and reaching the anemone, I've tried releasing the shrimp so it flows to the anemone... It's impossible. (My hermits sure were happy with the feast, though.)

So what should I do? Try to get it to move? Or leave it alone and hope it moves on its own? Or hope he's catching bits and pieces of whatever food floats his way when I feed my fish?

It "looks" healthy. I can't be 100% sure because it's really hard to take a good look at it (again, because of where it parked itself). It is attached and from what I can tell it hasn't discolored any from when I first purchased him. It's in a partially shaded area between rocks near the rear glass. I can barely see it from the side of the tank.

Anyway, here's some general additional info on the tank he's in:

46g bow 11g sump
coralife 65 skimmer
coralife aqualight (150W 10k + vho)
2 koralia 2s
2 maxijet 500

The tanks been up and running for 9 months now.

Oh, and my 2 oscellaris haven't hosted the bta. I don't think they even know it's in there. Heck, I wouldn't know it was in there if I didn't put it in myself and went searching for it after it settled. I was planning to do the whole picture of clowns hosting thing, but I'll take on that mission after I figure out how to feed the booger!

Jamie1210
09/25/2008, 07:22 PM
you could try shooting a powerhead at him (may need to take overnight), or simply aim your powerheads differently so that he won't like the direction of the flow anymore and be forced to move.

Sandslug
09/25/2008, 08:01 PM
I'm guessing you don't want there, hard to see. If so, don't even try feed it. It may still get enough to eat, but if not, it will likely move, looking for a more suitable (food rich) area, and hopefully pick a more visible spot.

Doris M
09/25/2008, 09:49 PM
Have you tried using a rigid airline tubing long enough to reach to the anemone connected to a syringe which will have your mysis or krill depending on how big your tubing is . Inject it directly to it. Alot of people swear on feeding their mandarins this way.

jdckbr
09/26/2008, 09:01 PM
jf the bta is getting plenty of light,you really dont need to feed very often provided its not bleached,give it time to aclimate to lighting tank chemistry ect... it`ll move again they always do,just protect it from all intakes

Mike31154
09/26/2008, 09:35 PM
Ya, my bta decided to hide amost a year after I added it to the tank. Same scenario, back of tank half under a rock, couldn't see it, couldn't feed it. Maroon clowns hosting in it and I hardly ever saw them anymore either. I kept an eye on it with a mirror and after a month or so I noticed it was half bleached. No idea why it wouldn't move into a more well lit spot, so I finally bit the bullet and rearranged the rock work. Rotated the rock so it's facing up and nestled into the same hollow it had moved to. Recovered nicely, all coloured up and growing well like nothing happened. Hasn't moved since.

Victor1046
09/27/2008, 07:01 AM
Maybe this website will help.
Karen is the expert in my opinion.
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

jkrentz2515
09/27/2008, 11:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13435165#post13435165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Victor1046
Maybe this website will help.
Karen is the expert in my opinion.
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

I like this site and the information she has, but she really needs to use spell-checker. To me it is hard to take information serious when it has all sorts of grammatical errors.

Nyxe
09/27/2008, 11:26 PM
Well this morning I noticed that the anemone was moving. By the time the evening rolled around, I couldn't find the anemone anywhere. I have no clue where it made it's new home. I guess I'll try and look for it daily until I find it again.

I'll try looking at the back of the tank with a mirror tomorrow, but I only have small cosmetic mirrors, so we'll see how that goes.

Mike31154
09/28/2008, 11:16 PM
The mirror business can be tricky. I used a small round one with no apparent metal parts. Held it using my long pincer tool and was fortunate not to drop it, ha ha.

Victor1046
09/29/2008, 05:35 AM
Ok Philadelphia, get past any mispelled words and read this about the nem moving

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/onthemove.htm

How's it doing today, still same place?