PDA

View Full Version : Can the lighting "bleach" the purple color off of the rocks?

Kissfan79
09/25/2008, 08:01 PM
Hey guys....
I have a question about lighting and live rock. Can the lighting (MH with PC actinic supplementation) bleach out the purple coloration from live rock? The reason I ask is that it seems that the rock in my tank that had a nice purple coloration has faded. My magnesium is around 1300 and my calcium is a bit low at 360-380 but I took notice of a piece of rock I turned over the other day. It was DEEP reddish-purple....tons of color. This was about a week ago and I have already noticed a marked reduction in the brightness of the color on the rock. I thought it may have been my imagination with the other rock but this was very noticeable. I know the coraline is growing as I have rocks that are getting some coloration and the back wall and overflows are covered in purple. I was just wondering if the lights could bleach out the live rock color.

Thanks, Jim

JFisheez
09/25/2008, 10:18 PM
not likley, if u have any turbo snails or urchins they love to eat that coraline which doesnt get rid of the coverage but just the purple color.

d3rryc
09/26/2008, 08:41 AM
Same goes for asternias, a type of small starfish. I had to get a harlequin shrimp to help control the number of asterinas in my tank b/c they were eating all of the coraline off the rocks in my tank.

psteeleb
09/26/2008, 08:55 AM
Yes - coraline does not like intense light. It needs light but too much can kill it. When I increased my light intensity a lot of mine faded away. I get great growth in shaded areas, my overflows and sump. But areas exposed to direct light, not much.

As mentioned some snails and other CuC munch on the stuff also.

crvz
09/26/2008, 08:57 AM
I don't think turbo snails eat coralline, but urchins will. In any case, I have found that coralline is more susceptible to die-off from lighting changes than most things. But you didnt indicate any changes. I've also experienced a die-off after a calcium reactor mishap, which dropped alkalinity rather dramatically. Any story on the alk in your tank of late?

Kissfan79
09/26/2008, 05:25 PM
The lighting on the tank is an outer orbit with 3x150 watt halides and 4x96 watt PCs. The alkalinity is usually a bit low at 8 dKh but I haven't noticed any big swings in it. The effect I am referring to is somewhat akin to leaving a magazine on the dashboard of your car. When you put it there....the cover is nice and bright...crisp with color. After leaving it there for a day or two...it still has color but is all faded. That is what seems to be happening....the purple color is still there....just faded.

Jim