PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Questions

mjstover
09/25/2008, 08:39 PM
hey everyone. I have just recently hooked up a Kalk Stir to my Auto Top off. My Cal levels are stedy but the Alk drops everyday. Is this normal becasue I thought Kalk added both. the drop will be about 8.3 - 7.7. Every day.

I was also wondering if I get a Calcium Reactor will this help to fix this problem.

I was also wondering when you add the Reactor is it the Kalk that helps hold the PH?

Amphiprion
09/25/2008, 08:50 PM
You should gauge how much of any supplement you need by the stability of the alkalinity. The sink for calcium is much larger and changes more slowly. It sounds as though you simply need to add a bit more. Just watch your pH VERY CAREFULLY. Another thing to check on is to make sure you have enough magnesium in solution, as well as a full strength salinity of 35 PSU (1.0264), which will allow for proper solubility.

mic209
09/25/2008, 11:07 PM
How much are you evaporating a day? Also, are you running GFO, that can drop your alk.

Mako Shark II
09/25/2008, 11:11 PM
Mic209 - Who do you work for?

Everyone, what do you thing about GEO Kalk Reactors?

I'm about to sell my calcium reactor in favor of the calcium reactor becuase I never used it for my combined reef tank.

60Cubed
09/25/2008, 11:17 PM
I run a GEO and love it! I will never have a tank without one again.

Mako Shark II
09/25/2008, 11:40 PM
wait.... you have both a Kalk & Calcium Reactors?

Isn't that redundant?

Reefer08
09/26/2008, 01:04 AM
No they run good together since one raises ph and one lowers ph. But usually its best to run a kalk reactor first and if demand isn't met with just a kalk reactor then a calcium reactor or 2part is needed.

60Cubed
09/26/2008, 05:44 AM
I have over 50 different acros alone!

My ph is around 8.3-8.4 by the end of my light cycle. I run kalk 24/7 as a top off. IMO the kalk reactor doesn't keep my alk in the range I would like without supplementing. So the cal reactor steps it up a bit. I used a calcium supplement to get it where I wanted it then dialed in the cal reactor to keep it there. It is a PITA to raise the calcium with the cal reactor without overshooting the alk. That was my experience anyway.