PDA

View Full Version : Aquacultured ocellaris... Frogspawn or BTA?

Jandree22
09/26/2008, 07:58 AM
I’ve got 2 aquacultured Ocellaris in my 75g, and I’m debating between a Frogspawn or a BTA in an attempt for the clowns to take a liking to. Is there one or the other that I’ll have better chances with the clowns accepting as a host? BTA’s may have a better chance of hosting the clowns (?), but I like the looks of a Frogspawn better, they can’t roam the tank, and from my limited understanding, aren't quite as demanding as the former.

thanks

crvz
09/26/2008, 08:16 AM
clowns hosting in LPS corals can cause damage to both the fish (from the stony skeletons of the coral) and the coral (to torn flesh from the clowns). You're much better off trying an anemone, but have you considered something that is a more natural host anemone for ocellaris clowns? I know the BTA is not a natural host, but they do often take to them.

DetectiveTofu
09/26/2008, 08:28 AM
The frogspawn has a higher risk of experiencing detrimental effects, if it begins to host the two ocellaris. In the the wild, I believe they host H. magnifica, and S. gigantea. But even then, the idea that your two clowns are aqua-cultured means that they have never seen an anemone.
Hit or miss whether or not they will go into the hosting species of coral, or BTA. I have a pair of Ocellaris that took to my torch coral one day, after 1 year. I also have a BTA dedicated tank, with another two Ocellaris, and the BTA hosts the clowns.
So I guess between the Euphyllia and the BTA, the BTA would probably take to it better. In terms of probability of the clowns going into something ... neither has a better chance IMO
HTH!

sassafrass
09/26/2008, 08:40 AM
You will find that the chioce may be out of your control,I have had clowns try to be hosted by pagoda cup corals ,goniopora ,frogspan and zoo;s

Jandree22
09/26/2008, 08:47 AM
Hmm... interesting points, but good ones. I do like frogspawns, but they’re also not on my must-have list either, so maybe I’ll just just forget about it. I might give the BTA a shot after I research them a little more to see what all their care involves. The whole clown/anemone thing isn’t a huge deal to me, but would be a kind of a cool element to the tank if the match was successful.

Anyways, thanks again guys!

HappySkittles
09/26/2008, 09:53 AM
maybe you should look at the kind of anemone they would naturally host in? even if they are aqua cultured they might have an instinct to host it?

Jandree22
09/26/2008, 11:00 AM
Well, just checked into it and both the Heteractis Magnifica and Stichodactyla sp. seem to be of a daunting size in a 75g, especially as I want to get a nice mix of LPS/SPS. Oh well :)

returnofsid
09/26/2008, 11:33 AM
Joel, your plans of having an anemone, LPS and SPS might work, might not. BTAs, as with all anemones can get rather large, and are quite known for wandering. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to prevent it. As they wander, they will sting corals.

That being said, I've got an RBTA in my 46 with soft and LPS corals. My RBTA doesn't wander and hasn't for 3 years. I've been lucky.

Occellaris will normally host in just about anything, though some have them that won't host in anything. It could take some time before they host. I do agree that hosting in any LPS can irritate the LPS and sometimes irritate it to death. Then again, there are those with Clowns hosting in Frogspawns that have been doing so for years with no negative impact.

That being said, do a lot of research before deciding and good luck with your choice!!

connpatd
09/26/2008, 11:34 AM
I have a pair of clowns.

The Female hosts in my BTA, the Male hosts in my Frogspawn AND my Hammer Corals.

Not sure what the male did to get kicked out of the house. Must have been a doozy.