PDA

View Full Version : Leather "splintering"??

tanker
09/26/2008, 10:12 AM
I have a tall leather that has been in my tank a while now---no new additions of any kind in over a year. The coral has just started to "lean" to one side. Just noticed at its base it looks like it is "spintering". Looks like how a tree splinters---lots (and I mean LOTS) of small slivers that look like small tooth picks (about 1/4 inch long).

Anyone seen this before??

GoingPostal
09/26/2008, 08:13 PM
It's what's holding your leather up, I forget what they are called. If they are black they are dying off, if not they are spreading most likely. You'll only really notice them during growth IME. Or death I suppose.

tmz
09/28/2008, 09:42 PM
They are schlerites. Soft corals don't lay out calcium carbonate externally as stony corals do. They use it internally and form these splinters to give them support. If they are showing it means tissue has/is receded /receding for some reason.

tanker
09/29/2008, 01:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13445720#post13445720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
They are schlerites. Soft corals don't lay out calcium carbonate externally as stony corals do. They use it internally and form these splinters to give them support. If they are showing it means tissue has/is receded /receding for some reason.

This does not sound like good news. Closer examinations show that you maybe right. I have moved it to another location (higher flow).

Any ideas on what causes this?? Cures??

tmz
09/29/2008, 01:08 PM
Hard to say. Could be a reaction to something in the water( aluminum ,other metals, alleopathic toxins from another coral)
,an infection,an infestation of some sort of parasite, unfavorable flow, a predator (crab, fish...) etc.
I would examine the coral closely . Cut out any mushy areas going at least a half inch into healthy tissue. Give a three to five minute fresh water dip. Follow with a 15 to 20 minute iodie dip such as lugol's. Put it in a different tank with good flow. Good Luck