PDA

View Full Version : Water spill

boxerzz
09/27/2008, 01:40 AM
Omg, there was a water spill in my sump area and the water went under my tank wood . My tank has a wooden cabinat stand and the area where my tank is, there is no excess to under it. I can see a little water seeping out from the side. What to do now ? Or I should just wait for the tank to collaspe ?

boxerzz
09/27/2008, 01:40 AM
There are 4 main support pillars

Ryan_Lap
09/27/2008, 01:53 AM
I wouldnt nearly be that concerned. But then again, my stand is built like a bomb shelter. Get some fans on it. Should dry up and be fine. Unless you flooded the room 3 feet deep I wouldnt worry.

puka
09/27/2008, 01:54 AM
just like Ryan_Lap said get some fans and blow at it, it should be ok

boxerzz
09/27/2008, 02:04 AM
omg your words really assured me, I was so miserable and even thinking about dismantling my tank before it crashes down. Here is what my tank bot looks like :

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn451/boxerzzzz/CIMG1788.jpg

The water spill from inside sump area and leak to below where there is hollow area but still enclosed under the cabint.

reefergeorge
09/27/2008, 09:13 AM
Has happened to me more times than I would like to admit. I just can't wait to see what my hardwood looks like under the tank.:(

HaleMoana
09/27/2008, 09:23 AM
It's happened to me 3 times in the last two months. And I have carpeting. I am getting it steamcleaned next week, but I am sure there is some sort of mold or rot under the carpeting.

As for your stand and tank... dry it up as best you can and don't worry about it. If that is the only time it happens to you, then you are a better man than most!

SquidHC
09/27/2008, 09:34 AM
If theres one thing that comes along with this hobby, its spilling water all over your house haha. Dry it the best you can, but it will dry on its own. THe only time I would be concerned with this is if your tank were made out of something like MDF because when it absorbes water it destroys the bonding agent and will cause breakdown of fibers. If your stand is made out of real wood, the wood will absorb some moisture then just slowly sweat it out over time. This is an issue because if it happens often, over 5-10 years you could potentialy get some dryrot.

AZDesertRat
09/27/2008, 12:10 PM
Lay some dry towels against the stand and let them wick the moisture out.

boxerz
09/27/2008, 07:26 PM
I can barely put newspaper through it. It seems like it got better now, thanks everyone !