PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflowing?

Blennie Power
09/27/2008, 03:26 AM
Hi,

I'm very new to Saltwater so please bare with me. I bought a Protein Skimmer today (and an air pump) and i hooked it up just before and the bubbles go flying up the tube and fill the cup thing with water till it overflows.

From what i've heard, dirty foam should be going in there? Is the air turned up to high? And if i put a restricter on it, will it damage the pump? Why would they sell me a pump thats to big??

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

808lazyd
09/27/2008, 03:27 AM
there should be a valve somewhere to turn it down. if you can locate this it will raise and lower the water level. what type of skimmer is it?

Tangweed
09/27/2008, 03:36 AM
Some how you must be able to change the water height. Maybe raising the cup or cutting back on the air pump.

Blennie Power
09/27/2008, 04:02 AM
The air pump is a Stellar S.30 and the skimmer is a Ocean Free Super Protein Skimmer. There is no valve on the pump and i cannot raise the cup as i need the lid to shut. Its an Aqua One 160ltr tank.

Thanks for your replies. Anything else would be great to.

Cheers
Tim

apdonato95
09/27/2008, 01:49 PM
you got a pic?

erazon1980
09/27/2008, 02:12 PM
the excess water goes out of a different tube usually with a sponge on it. You need to push that tube down not the sponge it might be tight so try and screw it down a bit. The tube is usually on the outside part of the big air where the bubbles are and water is.