PDA

View Full Version : another flow question

flipsideleo
09/27/2008, 06:04 AM
Hello all!

I'm in the process of setting up a 92g corner tank, and I was wondering two things:

A) How much flow should I have to keep a successful reef? I'd like to host all kinds of different coral and possibly a clam or two.

B) How should I setup my flow?

I don't want to do a closed-loop so I'm limited to powerheads. I was thinking Koralias or Maxijets, but I have no idea what type to buy, or how many.

I've researched a lot on this topic, but the corner tank is an oddball in our hobby. I do plan on having a sandbed, so I'd like to keep the duststorm to a minimal.

TIA,
FS

rogergolf66
09/27/2008, 06:12 AM
go with two 900GPH powerheads I would say 2 K#3 are good. the placement I would do is ont on each side toward the front pointing toward the center of the bow and have them hit each other. or you could put them in the back back to back and point them away from each other. I would try a few diff. ways.

Roger

Michael
09/27/2008, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13435005#post13435005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flipsideleo
Hello all!

I'm in the process of setting up a 92g corner tank, and I was wondering two things:

A) How much flow should I have to keep a successful reef? I'd like to host all kinds of different coral and possibly a clam or two.

B) How should I setup my flow?

I don't want to do a closed-loop so I'm limited to powerheads. I was thinking Koralias or Maxijets, but I have no idea what type to buy, or how many.

I've researched a lot on this topic, but the corner tank is an oddball in our hobby. I do plan on having a sandbed, so I'd like to keep the duststorm to a minimal.

TIA,
FS

i have a 92, i have 6 power heads and turn over 30x in flow, im just about to ditch the 2 maxijets and get another tunze in place of them, my sand doesnt blow at all, so id suggest 2 tunzes, 1 either side and another good ph like a koralia 3 or even another tunze as well at the back corner, it wont be overkill, i can assure you of that as it isnt for me, mind you i have over 100 pounds of LR, this takes a bit of sting out of it, HTH:)

tazzy695
09/27/2008, 10:13 AM
personaly i am runing a standard 75 and use 2 maxi mods in it totaly over 3k gph

2 korilia 3 will not be enough in that tank especialy if you want sps i would go with either modded maxi 1200 with the 2k prop installed or tunzes but beeing as you have a sand bed that you dont want turned into a sand storm placement is key

what i do is both of mine are placed close to the bottom on the back wall pointed up toward the dead center of the front wall where they hit and cause plenty of turbulance and beeing aimed up they dont stir up the sand too much

flipsideleo
09/27/2008, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13435496#post13435496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
i have a 92, i have 6 power heads and turn over 30x in flow, im just about to ditch the 2 maxijets and get another tunze in place of them, my sand doesnt blow at all, so id suggest 2 tunzes, 1 either side and another good ph like a koralia 3 or even another tunze as well at the back corner, it wont be overkill, i can assure you of that as it isnt for me, mind you i have over 100 pounds of LR, this takes a bit of sting out of it, HTH:)

I appreciate the reply, Micheal. Just out of curiosity, why are you ditching the MJ's? Are they causing problems?

flipsideleo
09/27/2008, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13435927#post13435927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tazzy695
personaly i am runing a standard 75 and use 2 maxi mods in it totaly over 3k gph

2 korilia 3 will not be enough in that tank especialy if you want sps i would go with either modded maxi 1200 with the 2k prop installed or tunzes but beeing as you have a sand bed that you dont want turned into a sand storm placement is key

what i do is both of mine are placed close to the bottom on the back wall pointed up toward the dead center of the front wall where they hit and cause plenty of turbulance and beeing aimed up they dont stir up the sand too much

When you say you're running a standard 75, are you referring to a standard 75 gallon tank? Also, which Tunze are you guys referring to?

So far, I'm thinking 3 MJ1200's with the Gulf Stream mod would set me up nicely. Do you guys think that would be an overkill?

Michael
09/28/2008, 12:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13438569#post13438569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flipsideleo
I appreciate the reply, Micheal. Just out of curiosity, why are you ditching the MJ's? Are they causing problems?

not at all, they are connected to spray bars and quite old, i had them previously on another tank,im ditching the spray bars for athsetic reasons and will replace both with a new tunze in the far corner thats all, this will then reduce my phs to 5:)

flipsideleo
09/28/2008, 05:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13440017#post13440017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
not at all, they are connected to spray bars and quite old, i had them previously on another tank,im ditching the spray bars for athsetic reasons and will replace both with a new tunze in the far corner thats all, this will then reduce my phs to 5:)

Ah... that's good to know. One more question, if you don't mind. Which Tunzes would you recommend... I guess I mean, which models?

Thanks again!

SquidHC
09/28/2008, 05:40 PM
I have a 120 with three Koralia 4's in it. Im not very happy with the flow. I could use more flow, and more random flow.

If I can make you a suggestion is to be sure to buy powerheads you can use on a wavemaker. If your rich, buy some tunzes and a controller. If your not rich, go to liveaquaria.com (a sponsor of this site) and buy the three pack of MaxiJet 600's with the wavemaker powerstrip, and three of the "Sure Flow Maxi Jet upgrade kits" This will give you a great amount of flow, on a wavemaker, for very little money.

flipsideleo
09/28/2008, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13443832#post13443832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SquidHC
I have a 120 with three Koralia 4's in it. Im not very happy with the flow. I could use more flow, and more random flow.

If I can make you a suggestion is to be sure to buy powerheads you can use on a wavemaker. If your rich, buy some tunzes and a controller. If your not rich, go to liveaquaria.com (a sponsor of this site) and buy the three pack of MaxiJet 600's with the wavemaker powerstrip, and three of the "Sure Flow Maxi Jet upgrade kits" This will give you a great amount of flow, on a wavemaker, for very little money.

That's actually not a bad idea, SquidHC. So, the Sure Flow upgrade gives me 1600GPH per powerhead? I don't see any specs for that upgrade, so I'm just assuming. I'm actually seriously considering your advice.

Michael
09/29/2008, 05:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13443725#post13443725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flipsideleo
Ah... that's good to know. One more question, if you don't mind. Which Tunzes would you recommend... I guess I mean, which models?

Thanks again!

depends on what your set up is like, i have 2 tunze 6025s, they are very powerful, but you can get bigger, i believe the 6045 is better, the 6025s work the way mine are set up, but i also use koralias as well, if i had to start over again id probably have 2 6045s and nothing else, but i intend to keep hard corals and they like flow, if fish only and soft corals then you wont need that sort of flow, a couple of 6025s or koralia 3s will probably be fine, thats all i can say on the matter really, so sorry if that doesnt help:)

flipsideleo
09/29/2008, 06:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13446795#post13446795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
depends on what your set up is like, i have 2 tunze 6025s, they are very powerful, but you can get bigger, i believe the 6045 is better, the 6025s work the way mine are set up, but i also use koralias as well, if i had to start over again id probably have 2 6045s and nothing else, but i intend to keep hard corals and they like flow, if fish only and soft corals then you wont need that sort of flow, a couple of 6025s or koralia 3s will probably be fine, thats all i can say on the matter really, so sorry if that doesnt help:)

You have been more than helpful, Michael. Thank you very much for the information.