PDA

View Full Version : T5 lighting requirements

jimnrose
09/27/2008, 06:19 AM
I decided on compact T5's but can't decide on the wattage, so I'm lookiing for help. My tank is (125g) 72" x 24" x 17" and the Orbit CF's have a 384w or 576w while the Nova Extrem Pro has a 468w fixture. I'm sure the reflector fixtures are more efficient but my tank is only 17" deep (intentionally shallow to reduce the lighting requirements. I'm also thinking of making my own if I know what the right combination of bults were and if I could save some $$. So 2 questions: What wattage is needed and are there other manufacturers to consider? Thanks, Jim

waystar
09/30/2008, 10:40 PM
would like some feedback on this question as well?

silverwolf72
09/30/2008, 11:32 PM
wattage is based on length. What you plan on growing will determine how many bulbs you need

daveonbass
10/01/2008, 02:12 AM
I too will be following this thread a while...I JUST got into the T5 revolution. From what I can tell there is NO true conversion factor from a regular Watts per Gallon rule like there is for many MH users. So just look up what fixture you want...and see if there are pics of it over peoples tanks...(real people here on the forums, and not just a nice tank with new stuff with a new light on it for pictures sake that you may see advertised)...and ask those people what they run and if it's providing good coral growth and stimulation.

But good luck...T5 seems to be a "greener" way to light tanks these days.

dave