PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean a system before begining reef?! Bleach, Vinegar, Ammonia?

cabrego
09/27/2008, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

I am building my 90g reef and some of the parts have been used before and have various types of algae, calcium deposits, and all the other kind of gunk associated with fresh/ saltwater systems.

I would like to set up all my equipment (tanks, overflows, sumps, pumps, skimmer etc.) and run tap water based solutions of either bleach or vinegar.

What would be the best way to clean everything at one time? I was thinking a very mild bleach solutions would work well, but I am not sure if that is safe in the long run, it seems that it would be fine.

I was also considering vinegar to bust any calcium deposits, I sure do not want to go piece by piece.

What is the standard procedure for this kind of work?

Texastravis
09/27/2008, 04:00 PM
Most things can easily be cleaned with just simple vinegar. However if you feel this tank needs a bleaching just simply make a 1:1 solution of regular chlorox bleach and warm water and clean everything. After that wash everything out again with just warm water, followed by pure white venegar (this will neutralize any remaining bleach resedue). Follow again with warm water to finish it off.

Mark426
09/27/2008, 04:07 PM
Exactly what Tex said...might add...you can fill it and/or soak any equipment with as strong of a vinegar solution as possible for several hours to remove CA/coraline deposits. Rinse several times with warm water.

stagefright13
09/27/2008, 04:20 PM
I'm with Tex also. The vinegar will be needed for getting rid of calcium deposits etc. And the bleach with sterilize it for a new start. Bleach evaporates into the air after a while and is safe to use.

plyle02
09/27/2008, 04:45 PM
I am all for vinegar as far as cleaning goes, if you accidentally have some that is not rinsed completely, it certainly won't harm anything, as many dose their kalk top off with vinegar, while other dose it as a c-source....... It also cleans very well.

LockeOak
09/27/2008, 05:05 PM
Bleach is only needed if you're trying to kill something, if the tank's been dry for a while it probably isn't necessary. I would soak everything in a vinegar solution for a few hours, scrub it, rinse, and allow it to dry completely.

stagefright13
09/27/2008, 05:47 PM
Just don't use the ammonia! Some things can live being dried like spores etc. (Seeds)

Macimage
09/27/2008, 07:15 PM
Vinegar will work well.

If you you need something stronger, diluted muriatic pool acid works extremely well. Just don't breath it in, get it in your eyes or on your skin.

I don't care for bleach, however, if you use bleach, don't get the lemon scented.

Joyce