PDA

View Full Version : Tank drilling questions

HumbleLobster
09/28/2008, 12:58 PM
I'm in a bit of tank limbo at the moment, since I'm in an apartment that won't let me have a tank larger than a 55g; and on top of that I'm storing a used 75 currently. Long story short, I've got two 10g tanks set up right now, one as a display and the second as a frag tank, but I'd like to have it set up like the following: 15g display (20x10x18 variety) up top, draining via overflow to a 10g sump below, with the frag tank to the right of the two (below display level, above sump level). I'm going have the return T'd off to that it pumps to the display and the frag tank, with the frag tank returning back to the sump. I plan on using a closed loop for flow in the display, with power heads in the frag tank. I'm also looking at upgrading the frag tank to a 29 if I can find a used one at a decent price, and if I can find a cheap stand/build my own.

Long story short, I'm looking at having a lot of holes drilled on some pretty thin tanks. I couldn't find much information on the thickness of the 15g tall tanks, but it can't be much more than the 10g tanks. From what I've been reading, most of the danger in cracking the glass comes from over torquing the bulkhead or the PVC.

So my questions are this: is this an over ambitious plan for such small tanks? And noobie question, what is the difference between the slip/thread bulkheads?

Thanks!