PDA

View Full Version : how to cycle, the best way ??

Jordan_Oreo
09/28/2008, 02:22 PM
Hey, I have to cycle my new 60g. I was just wondering what the best way to do it would be. And what would be the quickest way.
Thanks

J

rogergolf66
09/28/2008, 02:38 PM
Im assuming you have water, and live rock in it already? just get a couple cromis and feed them :) that will cycle the tank fine. you never know how fast it will be. it is said to be 6 weeks but it has never taken my tanks that long.

have test kits ready

amo
nitites
nitrates

log readings every 2 days.

Roger

Jordan_Oreo
09/28/2008, 03:13 PM
how do I get the fish out when its done ? and yes i got live rock and water etc.
what should my readings for the tests be when its cycled ?

avel
09/28/2008, 03:28 PM
Nitrates should be zero.

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

That's the order it all goes through.

J.russell
09/28/2008, 03:41 PM
Dont rush it and dont put fish in it to cycle it. The LR and sand will take care of the cycle. Thats the best way, not the fastest.

Prodd
09/28/2008, 03:53 PM
I have to agree with J.russell, i believe it's cruel to use fish to cycle a tank.
The live rock and sand will be enough to start the cycle.
Ammonia and nitrite should reach 0 then you will start to see nitrates rise. Quick water change, no more that 20% max and your ready to go.

there are many methods of speeding up the cycle, from using fish, water from an already established tank to even peeing in the tank as i heard once (theory works, although the main content is urea whereas we want ammonia).
But to be honest, don't bother trying to speed it up. If nothing else this is a hobby which requires a lot of patience. Might be an idea to get in some practice.

Good luck.

SquidHC
09/28/2008, 04:09 PM
Dont get fish and put them in. Its cruel.

If you can get your hands on some organic ammonia compound, that's a great way to start it. Also, you could just take a cube of frosen mysis and toss it in the tank. As it breaks down it will start your cycle. Thats all you need to do.

HappySkittles
09/28/2008, 04:35 PM
dont add fish
add a piece of raw shrimp or fish food to get the ammonia

rkelman
09/28/2008, 04:41 PM
Yes please don't use live fish its very cruel. I agree with happyskittles drop a piece of raw shrimp or fish food in.

Jordan_Oreo
09/28/2008, 05:06 PM
I placed a cube of frozen mysis in the tank insted of fish. If I took some coraline from another tank and put it in this one would it start the growth of it ?

rkelman
09/28/2008, 05:42 PM
Perfect. The coraline will come anyways. Carefull what you wish for though. Its a pain. :)

RyanMcLaughlin
09/28/2008, 06:08 PM
When I setup the tank I used fully cured lr and new sand and my tank was done in a couple of days.