PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

rcranf1
09/28/2008, 03:13 PM
I just got 2 Ocellaris clownfish when I feed them the freeze dried food it goes all over the place should I turn off the powerheads or is this natural for them to hunt for the food.

thoughts or suggestions???

ReefWreak
09/28/2008, 03:42 PM
They're planktivores by nature, so they'll "hunt" the food, and by "hunt" i mean if it floats by them in the water column, and looks in the least bit like food, they'll usually go for it, and if they don't like it, they'll spit it out.

As far as the food, what food are you feeding them? You can definitely turn your pumps off while feeding. Shouldn't cause any problems as long as you remember to turn the pump back on afterwards.... Very important (especially if you've got a chiller running. Don't want a chiller running while no flow is going through it).

Biggest thing about feeding like this is to make sure you're only feeding enough so that they get the food. You don't want it blowing around everywhere so it just lands in a dark corner and breaks down into more nitrates and phosphates.

rcranf1
09/28/2008, 04:46 PM
im feeding them frozen marine cusine, it has brine shrimp, krill, and mysis. I thaw it out in water from the tank and then feed it to them. I also have omega one marine flakes