PDA

View Full Version : Purple Frilly Gorgonian

Tennyson
09/28/2008, 06:10 PM
:D :D :D I'm so happy, I finally found a purple frilly gorgonian at the store. I have been searching for one for atleast half a year and never found one/a good healthy one for a reasonable price.

Well I bought it today, two stalks for $30, pretty good deal.

I'm just wondering, how I can feed it extra (besides lighting).
And the guy at the LFS said that they will need to fed (in other words, that they weren't photosynthetic) Is that true? I'm pretty sure it isn't, but I'm getting a funny feeling it might be because all my LFS's say that.

Other than that, it's doing great on it's first 12 hours in. Most polyps were extended.
And I superglued it's base to a rock so it's secure and getting good flow.
I'm not really sure if it's in the best shape, I will post a pic up tommorow.

Thanks

Tennyson
09/29/2008, 12:02 PM
Here's a pic, less than 12 hrs after being put in.

Does this look like a healthy piece?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/175285gorg.jpg
And I'm 99% sure i know this, but this is a purple frilly gorgonian right? The photosynthetic kind?

Thanks

kenny77
09/29/2008, 12:33 PM
yes thats a purple frilly gorginian. You can feed it with cyclop eeze. the polyps are to small to most food but cyclo ezee is perfect. It look ver healty.

I do have a purple frilly that is not that purple, is more brown than purple but is grow very fast. They like a lot of flow but not direct flow.

Tennyson
09/29/2008, 05:21 PM
thanks, glad to hear that.

One other question, I'm thinking about fragging a really small piece of it, like one of those branches ( a large one from the bottom). Is that ok? will the frag survive or will it just die?

thanx

tangafish
09/29/2008, 06:43 PM
It looks very healthy. I feed mine about 3 times a week. I feed a mixture of everything that I make up once and week and keep it refridgerated but individually they are all good. I mix, dt, marine snow, coral frenzy, cyclopeeze, zooplan, phytoplan. They can definitely be fragged but since yours is a new addition I would wait before I considered fragging it. Give it a little time to adjust to it's new home.