PDA

View Full Version : Tips for moving an aquarium

slukach
09/28/2008, 09:17 PM
The wife and I just bought a place and have to move from our apartment.

Does anyone have any tips for moving a 24g nanocube? Any info on how to cause the least stress to fish/coral. etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

reeftanktime
09/28/2008, 09:34 PM
Try to keep the water. Use 5 gallon buckets with lids. If it is a short distance move, fish and corals should be ok. Move the tank first, then everything else in the apartment. Priorities. Good luck

Zegg
09/29/2008, 12:45 AM
Depends on distance, for long distance moves since you kinda have to take everything in one shot heres my list of things I have used.

- Largest Insolated cooler you have(obviously dont want to have to fill it to high or might overflow around corners or hard braking so deeper the better IMO)
- Power converter to use on cigarette lighter(I had an outlit in the trunk)
- Powerhead(used a power head filter on the intake)
- Heater
- Airpump

I was able to move long distance (4 hours) and didnt have to worry about the whole acclimation thing once i got there and everything turned out good for me. I understand none of that is needed as fish and corals are shipped all the time but its 24gal which should easliy be able to move the entire thing in a cooler and least amount of stress on the animals in this fassion IMO. Good luck.

Ive suffered losses when just upgrading tanks and they were only 2 feet away from eachother.... the 4 hour drive and couple hour tear down/set up again had 0 losses. But guess thats how it goes.

slukach
10/01/2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The move is only 5 blocks away. So I will incorporate tips from both of you.

Thanks again.

And if anyone else wants to add anything, by all means, go ahead.

luv4paws2
10/01/2008, 06:43 PM
I recently moved a short distance too, invested in a few 30 gal rubbermaid totes at walmart for $6 each with lids they worked out great. Also ziplock bags for each individual coral and then put them in the bin of water, if you put enough bags to fill the surface of the bin, it will help keep water from sloshing out.

chin
10/01/2008, 07:07 PM
Get some styrofoam boxes from the LFS to put your livestock in. This will keep them insulated while you move the tank and gives you extra time to do other things. Think of them as temporary aquariums. Life rock can be transfered in boxes or place them in 5 gallon buckets. Try to keep as much water as you can. W/ a 24 nano, (4) 5 gallon buckets should be plenty of water. Have 5 gallons of new water for top off. Replace the sand while your at it. Regardless of how long you've had the sand, its better to replace it.

ILuvTropicalFis
10/01/2008, 07:11 PM
I moved my 125 from one room to another to refinish the floor and then back again. You have been given some good advice here. Just take your time, think it through and remember that it does take awhile to tear it down and set it back up again.

I removed all the rock and siphoned water over it. I had one fish that hid in the rock that I did not see again until I put it all together again. I used the rubbermaid trash bins that someone else mentioned too. You can get them with lids for very little cost. Just remember you have to be able to carry them once you have loaded them.

Save as much water as you can. After all the rock was out I had to catch the fish and remove the live sand. That took longer than I thought it would.

Of course my tank was alot larger but it still takes time. Be patient and don't get in a hurry. Good Luck!