PDA

View Full Version : sand bed clean up

newreef06
09/28/2008, 10:05 PM
Whats the best way to clean the sand bed up. I heard you can gravel vac the sand bed. How do you do it so you do not vacume up the sand

Scott

Flipper62
09/28/2008, 10:46 PM
During your water change.......Lightly suck up the top surface of the sand for 1 to 2 seconds.....Dont go more then a 1/4 inch deep, or you will start to release a lot of Nitrates..... then pinch / or plug the end of the hose to your crap bucket.......ALL the sand will fall back out, but all the crap will stay in the siphon....then unpinch the hose & all the crap will siphon out to the crap bucket....

This is simple.........REEF KEEPING 101........:dance:

Scott, also go into your profile & add in all your info. This will help all of us see what you have going on & it will help you get a faster reply to your questions

newreef06
09/29/2008, 03:10 AM
thanks. So you use a gravel vac right. Thanks for your help

scott

Tswifty
09/29/2008, 06:17 AM
I don't like using the vac, because you end up removing some of your sand bed.

Instead, I use a turkey baster and lights blow it into the sand on an angle, in a circular motion. Again, you just want to disturb the top 1/4" or less of the bed.

Then perform your water change.

I do this every few days as routine maintenance (without the water change), but run filter socks in my sump to help filter off the particles that are released up into the water column.

Good luck.

spamreefnew
09/29/2008, 09:17 AM
i just used a grav vac on my reef for the first time this weekend,,,it worked very well i only lost about a tsp. of sand,,,,and that was at full flow

newreef06
09/29/2008, 09:57 AM
thanks