PDA

View Full Version : Gigantea flow options....

ReefNutPA
09/28/2008, 11:52 PM
I have a 40gal breeder tank, previously housed a haddoni for 8 years. Currently houses a small leather coral, crocea clam and a few fish - 2 picasso clowns, flame angel, yellow watchman goby, 3 green chromis. Currently I'm using two MJ1200's for water flow. Lighting is a Aquactinics TX5 fixture, skimmer is a Bermuda Rogue.

I was going to purchase a new small haddoni, however, since my last one grew to 14"-16" or so and ate quite a few fish over the years, I am considering searching for a small gigantea instead. If I were to do this, which flow option would be better:

Two Koralia 2's or buying a MaxiJet Natural wavemaker system with 2 SureFlow modded MajiJet 600 or 900's.

I know gigantea's need random flow patterns, so I'm thinking the 'wavemaker' system might be better - but if it's not worth the money and isn't that good or isn't much better than just using two Koralia 2's then I'll just get the Koralia's.

This is all hypothetical at the moment, I haven't made any purchases nor started seriously looking. I'd like a natural host for my percula's, so I may end up getting a h. crispa instead of either of the carpets if my plans aren't do-able, and just keeping the flow I have with my MJ1200's.

Any thoughts from current/past gigantea owners on the flow issue?

Tom

Note: I'm aware I lost fish to my haddoni due to it's large size over the years and the small size of the tank. However, this is the tank I have to work with. The flame angel was ok with the last haddoni, however, I'm still concerned a blunder on the angels part would mean it's demise were I to get another haddoni or worse...the haddoni makes a meal out of the picasso's. Not a risk I really want to take... it's still an option though....

Reefvette
09/29/2008, 09:49 AM
I have a gigantea is a 30 breeder, Its the only inhabitant with a pair of GBR clowns.

I use the controllable koralias and the gigantea loves it.

Id be worried about your angel my gigantea stick to everything except my clowns. Its also got the strongest feeding response ive ever felt from an anemone.