PDA

View Full Version : effects of dosing Mag too quickly?

Santoki
09/29/2008, 09:33 AM
Anyone have any experiences with dosing Mag too quickly?
RTN?
STN?
I'm experiencing problems with one of my acro frags, not sure the scientific name.. some type of sky blue samoensis.
It seemed to have coincided with my Mag dosing.
Thanks.

Reefer07
09/29/2008, 10:36 AM
What does RTN and STN stand for?

Santoki
09/29/2008, 11:04 AM
Rapid Tissue Necrosis
Slow Tissue Necrosis
or when the coral tissue recedes and disappears from the skeleton.

acrodave
09/29/2008, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13448084#post13448084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer07
What does RTN and STN stand for?

RTN=rapid tissue necrosis

STN=slow tissue necrosis

hatfielj
09/29/2008, 11:06 AM
Actually, the one and only time I had an RTN event in my tank was when I started dosing mag sulfate (seachem brand). I don't know if I was adding it too quickly or not, but it caused me to have an alkalinity spike and I lost 3-4 large sps colonies.
Ever since that event I decided that dosing magnesium by that method wasn't worth the risk.
Now I use the zeomag supplement to add to my calcium reactor. It works much better and magnesium is replaced as its lost via the reactor just like calcium and alkalinity.

Sundiego
09/29/2008, 11:42 AM
I accidently raised my mag from 1350-2100 in about 1 day. It had no effect on my SPS, but it killed my brittle star, and killed some snails, and seemed to slow other snails. I have 45 SPS colonies, and the only difference I saw was much better pe.

xenon
09/29/2008, 12:20 PM
Many people boost mag to 1800-2500ppm fight bryopsis.

I am not sure how quickly they raise it though.

Just Jim
09/29/2008, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13448704#post13448704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
Many people boost mag to 1800-2500ppm fight bryopsis.

I am not sure how quickly they raise it though.

I believe it shouldn't exceed 100ppm per day....

mpoletti
09/29/2008, 01:40 PM
I have raised mine by 200 in a single day. Long term elevated levels have reduced some forms of algae as well as I have lost some snails and crabs. I did notice that my PE on my monti's was less and when I brought down my levels below 1500, the monti's PE returned.

reefnfun
09/29/2008, 02:25 PM
I raised mine 200ppm at one time, the coral was fine but my sebae anemone expelled its algae and shriveled up to 1/4 its size. It came back the next morning. Instead of dumping it in the sump I am adding it in the top off water, so far so good. Hope this helps.

Goodwood
09/29/2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah my montis don't like dosing mag.

Mykel Obvious
09/29/2008, 04:52 PM
dubba posties

Mykel Obvious
09/29/2008, 04:54 PM
I've had Montis turn pale, Pocillipora retract all polyps for 3 days... 3 out of 4 of my Milles retracted their polyps for 10-12 hours when this happened as well (ORA Rose Mille unaffected for some reason) and I noticed some of my LPS go into faded neon colors from dosing more than 100 ppm in a day

Milles recovered within the day, and the Pocilli came back strong as ever... one Monti cap is still pale, but it was browned out from shipping, so I'm not 100% sure what its final color will be anyway... haven't noticed any issues with any other Acros... Nor RTN or STN from anything ever yet :knocks wood:

With a slow steady rise to 1800+ ppm, I had no problems other than a bit of neon in my LPS the first time I dosed high for Bryopsis treatment (ran out of Tech M before I ran out of Bryo :sigh: )... got in a hurry and didn't test before dosing last time, bumped it up over 200 ppm in a day and total over 2000 ppm fairly rapidly, which lead to the above issues

Oh, and I also have found that snails don't do as well... act like they are drunk, but I haven't lost one so far

tpenn187
09/29/2008, 08:53 PM
when i raised my mag aprox 210 over night it killed my chips and chips frags but that was the only coral that was effected.

Santoki
09/30/2008, 05:58 AM
thanks everyone.
Everything else is fine including snails, Montis (full PE), anemones are fine, the one LPS I have is fine as well. In short, this was the only piece that experienced any problems. Maybe it was just more sensitive...

stunreefer
09/30/2008, 07:26 AM
Santoki, The main thing I'd watch for if your experiencing losses is an elevated specific gravity. Since you have to add a copius amount of most any Mg. supplement, its very easy to raise your sp. grav. pretty quickly.

Another thing to watch for is when physically adding the Mg. supplement, I'd add it to a high-flow area of the sump. If you add it directly to the DT and the supplement comes into direct contact with a colony, it wouldn't suprise me to see some negative effects.

NanoReefWanabe
09/30/2008, 09:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13454053#post13454053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stunreefer
Santoki, The main thing I'd watch for if your experiencing losses is an elevated specific gravity. Since you have to add a copius amount of most any Mg. supplement, its very easy to raise your sp. grav. pretty quickly.

Another thing to watch for is when physically adding the Mg. supplement, I'd add it to a high-flow area of the sump. If you add it directly to the DT and the supplement comes into direct contact with a colony, it wouldn't suprise me to see some negative effects.

i second that....

and i havent seen any ill effects otherwise and my mag has been in excess of 1800 for almost a year now...

Amphiprion
09/30/2008, 09:07 AM
MgCl is what we use to "anesthetize" various mollusks before preserving them. It's no wonder that it affects them in tanks with concentrations that high. I do wonder, however, if returning them back to natural Mg levels will halt and reverse the process. Time to experiment...

Edit: this works on all nudibranchs as well. I am working on this as a potentially safer alternative to nudibranch control/elimination, but I have yet to get around to it.

jdieck
09/30/2008, 09:22 AM
I usually recommend not to increase magnesium more than 100 ppm per day. This limitation is not really related to magnesium itself but to the colaterals. Magnesium chloride, one of the main ingredients in the supplements usually carry certain amount of impurities including ammonia, the idea of limitin the addition is for the system to have enough time to process those impurities.
If using magnesium sulfate only (Epsom Salts) the sulfate ion proportion in the ion balance increases significantly, that can also cause some issues if done too fast, in this case I also recommend to keep up with water changes to re-balance the ion mix.

Paulairduck
09/30/2008, 01:36 PM
I has issues with a lot of my montis, I had to stop, seeing STN.:mad: