PDA

View Full Version : please help fast

treecowboy42
09/29/2008, 06:44 PM
I have a Fakaha puffer in a 29 gal brakish water, alone. He has been sick for sometime, I have had him only a month or so, I have treated the tank with Jungle parasite clear, he is no better. He will not eat and swims like he is blind, he has not eaten in a week. I was wondering if there are any help for maybe something internal?

Packersfan21
09/29/2008, 06:52 PM
I don't know if this is a brakish water fish or not, but a 29 gallon is way too samll for a puffer. I would move him to a qt ASAP. What are water parameters?

HappySkittles
09/29/2008, 07:06 PM
if you think its internal they do sell meds for internal parasites and such
i had to buy some for my oscars
i forget what its called but they wouldnt eat and they would poop white (their poop should have been red...the color of the food)

fixed em up in a week
if you see nothing on the outside and the parameters check out it could be on the inside

also if its brackish what is the specific gravity/salinity

maybe you dont have it right

treecowboy42
09/29/2008, 07:17 PM
The salinty is 1.012, and all other levels look good. Since I bought him , them they have all just went down hill, do you need crushed coral in brackish water?

treecowboy42
09/29/2008, 07:18 PM
p.s. he is only like 3 inches long

HappySkittles
09/29/2008, 07:20 PM
i am actuaklly not sure about the ph D:
that is a good question

i just looked
the ph should be up there with a slat water tank (7.8-8.4)
so adding a ph buffer and crushed coral would bring the ph up and keep it up

how is your ph?

and your alkalinity should be like saltwater too (8 or higher)

treecowboy42
09/29/2008, 07:35 PM
my ph is 8.0 to 8.2, how do i test for alkalinity?

HappySkittles
09/29/2008, 07:38 PM
there is a test like all the other tests for it. if you have a saltwater test kit you should have some kind of alkalinity test

treecowboy42
09/29/2008, 07:41 PM
All I have is Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite

HappySkittles
09/29/2008, 07:44 PM
is that a freshwater test kit?

treecowboy42
09/29/2008, 07:59 PM
yes

HappySkittles
09/29/2008, 08:20 PM
you will need a saltwater test kit
or in some places you can buy each type of kit separately

tapiana
09/29/2008, 10:06 PM
Go to www.thepufferforum.com - post your situation in the sick fish area - if you are lucky pufferpunk will reply - though someone will let you know what is going on with the puffer right away.

29g is ok for now - but you will need a bigger tank. They grow really large.

julianchan
09/29/2008, 10:45 PM
Fahakas are purely freshwater puffers. He will possibly get up to about 18". Check this page out for starters...

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/

Pufferpunk
09/29/2008, 11:21 PM
Please start doing 50% daily water changes on his tank with fresh water only. This puffer comes from the Nile river--no salt in there. A fish swimming like it's blind, is usually being poisoned by nitrate. Please post your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH. Also explain how the tank was cycled. This fish can grow as much as 1"/month & will require a minimum of 120g with some serious filtration.

Idontknow
09/29/2008, 11:41 PM
It could be an uncycled tank. My first puffer died because I put him into an uncycled tank without knowing. Sounds like similar symptoms.

Pufferpunk
09/30/2008, 12:00 AM
My thoughts exactly. What's the water change schedule on his tank? I'm sure the salt is stressing him out too--that's a lot of salt for a FW fish!

CoreyK
09/30/2008, 12:34 AM
Are you sure it's a Fahaka? Puffers are notorious for being mis-ID'd.

And yea, if it is, definitely a freshwater fish.

t1gerbee
09/30/2008, 06:28 AM
post a pic, lets get the ID of this fish correct before doing anything drastic..

If it is a fahaka then get it out of the salt water straight away....

Doing a big water change could shock him so i'd set up a vat/huge bucket or something and drip him down to freshwater.. over a number of hours...

airstone and heater in the bucket essential...

whilst doing that, clean out the whole tank and refill it with fresh, decholrinated water...

you will have to re-cycle the tank with him in it, as dropping the SG by so much will wipe out any bacteria in it...

so once it's fresh, do 30% water changes daily until you are sure it has cycled...

crazedpuffer
09/30/2008, 06:41 AM
I like how everbody from TPF is now posting here...
But yes do as everyone else says, or else you might wanna return him to the store, and inform them of the care that puffer needs.

t1gerbee
09/30/2008, 10:47 AM
just spreading the love... :D

tapiana
09/30/2008, 04:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13453827#post13453827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by t1gerbee
post a pic, lets get the ID of this fish correct before doing anything drastic..

If it is a fahaka then get it out of the salt water straight away....

Doing a big water change could shock him so i'd set up a vat/huge bucket or something and drip him down to freshwater.. over a number of hours...

airstone and heater in the bucket essential...

whilst doing that, clean out the whole tank and refill it with fresh, decholrinated water...

you will have to re-cycle the tank with him in it, as dropping the SG by so much will wipe out any bacteria in it...

so once it's fresh, do 30% water changes daily until you are sure it has cycled...

If the tank is going to be cycled with the Fahaka in it - wouldn't it be better for the Fahaka to add some Bio-Spira to the tank to help with the process? Or going to the LFS and getting some FW filter media to help? Just a thought.

Idontknow
09/30/2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, I think Bio-spira is a good idea. Hopefully you can get a good live batch. I've emergency cycled four tanks using Bio-spira. My fish are all healthy. I've been very lucky in that I got live batches every time. I've read that sometimes the batches are dead if not stored in the refrigerator.

If you get it, put some inside the filter as well as the water.

Pufferpunk
09/30/2008, 09:30 PM
I love when someone needs help FAST & then disappears when help comes...

tapiana
09/30/2008, 10:32 PM
He is still posting on a new thread now - it is
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1481740

I am going to direct him back to TPF - a great support group :)

treecowboy42
10/01/2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry new to all this, I did not know to not post 2 threads. I will keep to one. He is doing much better, he is swimming around, I think he has eye cloud, he swims like he is blind, and has whites spots in his eyes. But thank you everyone for the help and I will do a water change tonight , and keep you all posted. p.s. I will delete the other thread

Pufferpunk
10/01/2008, 09:13 PM
There is good info in the other thread. Maybe the mods can merge the 2 threads? We are still waiting on a good ID. Can you please post a pic? What are your future plans for this puffer?