PDA

View Full Version : skimmer overflow back into tank an crashed!

jarice1978
09/29/2008, 10:24 PM
hello,

Got home today and the tank looked dead! After investigating, the skimmer was full of clear water. A few days ago it was about half full of very dark skimmate. To get that much took over 3 weeks.
So basically all of the bad stuff was dumped back into the tank at once.
I have some yellow leathers that are now hanging over that look to be in bad shape.
Mushrooms withered up.
Xenia withered up.
Kenya tree retracted.
Brittle star dead.
Missing 2 fish and snails.
Clownfish won't eat.

What I have done:

Imediatley did a 10 gallon water change on the 28 gallon nano.
Mixed new batch for tommorrow.
Got the skimmer working correctly.

What else can I do besides water changes?

How do I know if I should take the coral out? Will it come back or just rot in the water and make it worse?

Thanks,
Joe

What else can I do?

TXAlbert
09/29/2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. Run carbon, should help. What kind of Skimmer?

jarice1978
09/29/2008, 10:35 PM
thanks.

It is the cheap skimmer that came with the system.

snaza
09/30/2008, 01:49 AM
Run carbon and do another Big 50% water change. If things dont look better in a couple days. do another 50% water change. Same thing happened to me on my 150Gal. ended up doing 3 or 4 50% water changes. All is back to normal now

BuddhaKiss
09/30/2008, 02:11 AM
Can't really add much....continue with the WC and Carbon. May want to upgrade the skimmer eventually. And empty and clean it out every couple days so it can continue doing its job.

jarice1978
10/01/2008, 09:06 AM
Well I have now done 2 large water changes. Cleaned all the filters and have carbon running(did before).

When doing the water changes I tried to suck out all the dead coral pieces and junk.

I have 3 large yellow leathers that are bothering me. They are all still hanging over and shedding (or maybe rotting).

After the second large water change it looked like things might be helping. The 3 fish I have looked a little better...

But then this morning I got up and checked on the tank.
The clownfish I have had for 5 + years was laying on the sand, still alive but not looking good.

I immediatly checked everything I could think of...

The damn heater quit working!
The water was 66 degrees!

So I grabbed a backup heater and put it in. Hopefully the tank comes back to life...

Man, when it rains it pours. Whats next? A leak!?

:mad2:

Joe

BuddhaKiss
10/01/2008, 05:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13461951#post13461951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jarice1978

Man, when it rains it pours. Whats next? A leak!?

:mad2:

Joe

Man, you just jinxed yourself...don't even joke about that!