PDA

View Full Version : Do you think 7in clown trigger will become food

JC1
09/30/2008, 01:26 PM
For a 16in Arothron Stellatus

danorth
09/30/2008, 02:28 PM
Could....have you seen anything that puffer WON'T eat?

JustinReef
09/30/2008, 02:31 PM
Has your Starry eaten other fish in the past?

My friend has one that ate a huge Lionfish. His Starry puffer is only about 12". This one has eaten a ridiculous amount of fish over the 6 months he's had it.

I wonder if your would eat a trigger though...The only problem I see is that your Starry Puffer is going to keep growing very fast until it hits about 2' and then it will slow down but the trigger will grow much slower. So I think my fear would be that one day you may have a 24" puffer and a 8-9" trigger. That could easily be food.

Its just so hard to say.

predator 1
09/30/2008, 03:56 PM
Not a chance, believe me. Young Clown triggers have been seen swimming through a Titan Trigger nest , when every other fish in the area is attacked(even divers). There is very, very few fish that we keep in our systems that would intentionally kill a Clown Trigger. I keep mine with a mature Golden Arothron, and they live in Harmony.

myerst2
09/30/2008, 04:54 PM
A pair of titans in nature are completely different than a captive stellatus that thinks that whole display is HIS territory. Your best chance is to take the puffer out or seperate them for a while to let the trigger get adjusted to his settings. Tim

JustinReef
09/30/2008, 07:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13457230#post13457230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by predator 1
Not a chance, believe me. Young Clown triggers have been seen swimming through a Titan Trigger nest , when every other fish in the area is attacked(even divers). There is very, very few fish that we keep in our systems that would intentionally kill a Clown Trigger. I keep mine with a mature Golden Arothron, and they live in Harmony.

A Golden Arothron is a saint compared to a Starry Puffer (and tiny). Starry Puffers are by far the most aggressive puffers you can find. Im not so sure if its always territory as much as its that they are NEVER full. You can't compare the two. Not to mention a Golden is tiny compared to a Starry. I know what your saying but Starry Puffers really are in a class of their own and to say not a chance that a massive eating machine will not eat a relatively small fish is not true in my opinion.

I also have to agree with the comment below that a Starry puffer in captivity is going to feel cramped in even the largest of systems and get quite territorial. They still should hit about 2.5' in captivity and have been known to get 3' in big tanks. Still much smaller than in the ocean but huge for our systems.

Im not disagreeing that clown triggers are tough and most fish don't mess with them but Starry puffers are not going to shy away from a clown trigger if it doesn't like it or wants to eat.

Who knows...maybe the puffer won't care or the trigger will be able to fend the massive beast off but its a chance you have to know your taking. Personally I would be willing to try it but I would look for a much bigger Clown Trigger. At least 11-12" if possible.

Basically you would have to be ready to accept the fact that there could be a fight and the puffer would win hands down.

What size tank by the way?

EDIT:410 pond I assume...so your puffer is going to get at least 2.5' I would say and would not be surprised if it gets close to 3'. Glad to see you have a good sized home for him! Most people, including my friend (who ****es me off because of this), keep them in tanks that are way too small like a 210G. They outgrow a 210 within a year. These are fast growing fish. Although yours will start to slow down soon Im sure.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

JustinReef
09/30/2008, 07:25 PM
I have always enjoyed this picture of a Starry Puffer because you get an idea of size beside the diver...

What a beautiful creature!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/2446445275_c849103ce7.jpg

^^And I don't think this guy is quite full grown because he still has his youth colors!!!

I love this one too because people buy these guys like seen in the lower drawing but don't realize they get as big as the bigger one!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/Arothron_stellatus.jpg

JC1
09/30/2008, 08:20 PM
He has killed two fish in the past when he was 6in he killed a 4in pork puffer and when he was 12in he killed a 8in lion all this when he was in my 150gal and he does have a 24in yellow head eel with him right now

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13456638#post13456638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinpsmith
Has your Starry eaten other fish in the past?

My friend has one that ate a huge Lionfish. His Starry puffer is only about 12". This one has eaten a ridiculous amount of fish over the 6 months he's had it.

I wonder if your would eat a trigger though...The only problem I see is that your Starry Puffer is going to keep growing very fast until it hits about 2' and then it will slow down but the trigger will grow much slower. So I think my fear would be that one day you may have a 24" puffer and a 8-9" trigger. That could easily be food.

Its just so hard to say.

Recty
09/30/2008, 10:21 PM
That picture of the starry puffer is definitely a victim of perspective, it isnt really nearly as big as the diver. Still a big fish though.

PSLee
10/01/2008, 12:43 AM
justinpsmith - the first puffer pic that you posted appear to look very Arothron mappa-like.

JustinReef
10/01/2008, 01:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13460097#post13460097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Recty
That picture of the starry puffer is definitely a victim of perspective, it isnt really nearly as big as the diver. Still a big fish though.

Oh I never said he was in the same perspective but it still gives a great idea of size, IMO.

JustinReef
10/01/2008, 01:18 AM
Alright...you guys are right, bad picture or example. Removed.

Recty
10/01/2008, 11:13 AM
I wasnt trying to get you to remove the picture, it's a good one :)

JustinReef
10/01/2008, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13462769#post13462769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Recty
I wasnt trying to get you to remove the picture, it's a good one :)

Oh I know you were not :)

It was late and I posted a bad pic though. Bad example anyways.

JustinReef
10/01/2008, 12:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13459209#post13459209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JC1
He has killed two fish in the past when he was 6in he killed a 4in pork puffer and when he was 12in he killed a 8in lion all this when he was in my 150gal and he does have a 24in yellow head eel with him right now

I don't know then...I wouldn't risk it. But if your going to try I would do it soon before he gets even bigger :p