PDA

View Full Version : New RO/DI, anything I need to know?

Taqpol
10/01/2008, 10:03 AM
Hi all, I just ordered a BFS 75 gpd ro/di machine thats going to be delivered today. I saw in a different thread thatif you change out the filters you have to do something special before you can start using water again, so i assume that means you also have to do something special with an entirely new machine to "break it in" before the water is usable.

I've never used or set up an ro/di before, is there anything I should know or do?

an411
10/01/2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah waste about 5 to 10 gallons of water before you use the water.

Flavum
10/01/2008, 10:25 AM
yea run it for a bit like 411 said and also I dont know where your keeping it but if its outside dont let it freeze..you probably already realized this but I thought I would throw it out there. I killed mine....

AZDesertRat
10/01/2008, 11:03 AM
Once you have picked a location to install the unit either permanent or portable you need to rinse everything up. Before turning the water on first disconnect the line from the carbon block up to the RO membrane at the membrane housing end. Turn the water on and flush a few gallons of water out to rinse any carbon dust or fines out so it does not get to the membrane. With the high quality 0.6 micron carbon block Buckeye uses this is not as much an issue as with some other carbons especially granular media.
Once it has flushed a bit, shut the water off, reconnect the line and next unscrew the DI housing and remove the DI cartridge.
Now you can turn the water on again and waste the first 3 to 5 gallons. This is a good time to experiment with your new TDS meter, test it when you first turn the water on and note the TDS reading. You will see higher than normal TDS for a few minutes while the membrane is being rinsed or seasoned, this should drop over the next few gallons and stabilize at 2 to 4% of what the incoming tap water TDS is. Once you have run the 3-5 gallons through it you can reinstall the DI cartridge and again give it a rinse of a few gallons too. You will also notice elevated TDS from the initial DI rinse.
You are now ready to make water.

Each time you change filters, at 6 month intervals, be sure to do a rinse up like this and disinfect the system and your should get years of service out of the membrane. Also remember to rinse the DI when changing too as it will have an initial high TDS.

Taqpol
10/01/2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, thank you for the very detailed post. Does it matter if the machine is vertical or anything? I technically not even allowed to use nails in my apartment, so it's mounting mechanism is going to be jury-rigged to say the least...

AZDesertRat
10/01/2008, 01:19 PM
No it really does not matter how its mounted but when at odd angles it may trap air bubbles which can be removed or passed on by rotating the unit all around to release them.
No reason you can't set it on the kitchen counter hooked to the faucet when in use and stored in a closet when not in use. If you have a washing machine it is real easy to hook them to the cold water line with a wye fitting like used to put two garden hoses on the same spigot.