PDA

View Full Version : Zoas don't see as healthy or look as good as they should.

todd03blown
10/01/2008, 12:11 PM
Here are 2 pictures of my zoas. I got them from my LFS and when I went back to his place yesterday and looked at the piece they were fragged from his looked alot better then mine!! the odd thing is I have 6 new polyps of growth since they have been in my tank for 3 weeks. thoughts? I see I have a small patch of Cyano as well.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/tarringt/zoa1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/tarringt/zoa2.jpg

Here are my last water test parameters:
Ph - 8.3
Temp 78.6
SG - 1.023
Ammonia - .5
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
Calcium - 350 (dosed after this test)
DKH - 9
Mg - 1500

650-IS350
10/01/2008, 03:07 PM
you parameters look cool. Me I run at 1.025 but I doubt that would make a difference for you.

Just wondering if you started them all the way in the bottom of the tank when they first got in? To prevent LIGHT SHOCK?

todd03blown
10/01/2008, 03:20 PM
650 - I did they have been on the bottom the whole time and they are now attached to the rock. Plus its odd that I have a good amount of growth with 6 new heads.

650-IS350
10/01/2008, 03:27 PM
I honestly don't see anything wrong with them? Its been talked about everytime. The zoa will not guarantee that it'll look the same with your tank nor the next persons tank.

zoa's act differently to different conditions ( lighting/tank parameters/flow etc... ) they can either, decrease in size, look drab, die etc.. or for the better... increase in color, size, multiply faster etc...

every aquarist tanks are different from each other, almost like a finger print. zoa's placed in one tank will most likely not act or look like that in another tank. They're not like LE SPS, were you get a frag from the mother colony and most likely will look like the MC when it grows in your tank.

Get a turkey baster to blow off some of that cyano.. how long has this tank been up and running?

jprince58
10/01/2008, 03:30 PM
I have one tank in which I absolutely cannot keep the cyano under control and few zoas will thrive. I don't know if there's any correlation, between the zoas and cyano, but if you have cyano, there are some things out of whack in the system to start with. Also, what is that in the photo above the zoas? Could there be a proximity issue with another coral?

todd03blown
10/01/2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks all for the help.

Above the zoa is a torch coral, its about 2" away when the torch is fully exteneded. the tank has been up and running for about 5 weeks or a little longer. The cyano is just in 2 small patches. I just cleaned it all up with a turkey bastor and then did a 2G water change. I did take the bastor and blow around the green zoas. I have another frag in my tank and they look just like they did in my LFS tank.