PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a corner overflow tank?

Raibaru
10/01/2008, 05:48 PM
Just curious if anyone out there has a corner overflow tank (either from Marineland or other) and what your impression of it is?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a typical reef ready tank, an oceanic tech tank, or a corner overflow tank. The main draw to the corner overflow and mega-overflow/rr tanks are the overflows are in the rear left corner which is nice given where my tank will be set up. I was also a bit disappointed after having seen a tech tank in person (finally) and seeing that the overflow really wasn't all that much smaller then the megaflow ones (and yet the tank is 2x more expensive and the stand 3x more! [and I hear the stands are terrible!]).

Anyone have one a corner flow or megaflow and have any pros/cons related to aquascaping and the space they take up they'd like to share?

Thanks guys.

ACBlinky
10/01/2008, 08:00 PM
My 90g is a Perfecto, with a left-rear corner overflow. I prefer this design to the wider, off-center design of All-Glass and other companies -- just personal preference.

When I aquascaped, I piled rock in front of the overflow and allowed coral to grow around & above the highest rocks -- the overflow is 90% invisible.

I have no complaints about the aesthetics or performance; I'd buy another corner overflow next time (though my hubby tells me this is the biggest and LAST tank I'm ever going to get!)

Rysam
10/01/2008, 08:07 PM
I cut pieces of glass to 45* the corners. i have the outside glass painted black with houseplants covering the paintjob and coralline algae covers them from the inside. i dont even notice them anymore.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/norcalreefer/DSCN1265-1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/norcalreefer/DSCN3188.jpg

Raibaru
10/01/2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your input ACBlinky. Do you have any other pictures you could share beside the few in your gallery?

I haven't seen the perfecto stands with actual overflows in them anywhere. I'm actually leaning more toward the perfecto because it does look to give me better aqua scaping options.

I just don't know how much room is going to be available in front of the overflow between the overflow and front glass. This could cause some problems.

Yours looks good too king. I don't have any wall space so my tank needs to be drilled through the bottom. But you're right, I really had to struggle to notice your mod. Looks very nice.

Playa-1
10/02/2008, 08:58 AM
I have a corner overflow and I'm very pleased with it.

Raibaru
10/04/2008, 07:06 PM
Do each of you guys have a Perfecto tank with the overflow? On the perfecto website (marineland) they mention that their overflows come with a removable front cover to make it easier to clean.

I'm curious how this removable front cover actually works and how easy it is to remove and such? I planned to stack rocks right up against the overflow so it's unlikely I'll ever actually use this feature and I'd hate for it to get in the way.

luv4paws2
10/04/2008, 08:10 PM
I have a perfecto 110, 48x18x30 with a corner overflow. I run a mag12 with no noise issues, if the tank is 18" or more then aquascaping in front and around should be easy. I like the corner so i can see inside at all the critters living there.

Raibaru
10/04/2008, 08:20 PM
Luv4paws2, don't the perfecto overflows have a removable face plate? And if so, do you even bother with it? The tank I'm looking at is 36x18x24 so sounds like I won't be disappointed at all with the overflow size.

I haven't seen any locally and the LFS will have to special order one for me.

If you guys could also comment on the stand (if you're using a perfecto or other mfg stand as opposed to home made) I'd love to hear it. I saw the Oceanic Tech stand in person and holy moly is that thing not worth its inflated price.

Playa-1
10/05/2008, 09:35 AM
I think mine is all-glass and it's not removable.

seagirl
10/05/2008, 03:22 PM
i too am ordering a custom perfecto soon. I'm going with a 125g with 1 corner overflow and a single 1.5" drain. I hated the way the aga's were in the middle of the tank.

luv4paws2
10/05/2008, 04:32 PM
I havent done anything with the overflow since the tank was new. It was nice to be able to take it off and scrape the brown crap off while it was cycling, but i have rocks overing half of it now and am about to make a foam-rock cliff to go all the way to the top. I got the sedona stand and canopy because my wife liked the way it looked like furniture. Canopy was not bad to modify for lights, the stand is a little cramped for my taste, but you cant beat the warranty.

Raibaru
10/05/2008, 05:24 PM
Yea, I just pre-ordered it. Sounds like this is the way to go. Hopefully the diagram on their website was the only option with the overflow in the rear, left corner. I'd hate to wait 2 weeks for the thing to show up only to have it in the wrong corner :/

seagirl
10/05/2008, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13489391#post13489391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Raibaru
Yea, I just pre-ordered it. Sounds like this is the way to go. Hopefully the diagram on their website was the only option with the overflow in the rear, left corner. I'd hate to wait 2 weeks for the thing to show up only to have it in the wrong corner :/
The LFS that is ordering mine in said i can specify L or R for my overlfow.

Raibaru
10/05/2008, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13489468#post13489468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seagirl
The LFS that is ordering mine in said i can specify L or R for my overlfow.

Uhg... I'll have to call tomorrow and hope it isn't to late.

seagirl
10/05/2008, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13489525#post13489525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Raibaru
Uhg... I'll have to call tomorrow and hope it isn't to late. mine is a custom so maybe that makes a diffrence, but i thought i should let you know there are options

Raibaru
10/05/2008, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13489548#post13489548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seagirl
mine is a custom so maybe that makes a diffrence, but i thought i should let you know there are options

That could be, I'm getting the standard 65g Corner-Flo (in theory). LFS had to special order it. Better be the right one.

Gdevine
10/05/2008, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13468755#post13468755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1
I have a corner overflow and I'm very pleased with it.

Ditto.

Raibaru
10/05/2008, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13491219#post13491219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
Ditto.

Could you post some pictures of your tank if you don't mind? You have the 65g so it would be really cool to see what this tank looks like as most of my fish stores have to special order tanks.

BumpyJohnson
10/05/2008, 10:31 PM
The only problem I have had with my marineland tank is the cutouts for the water returns is to big and I had to put a piece of foam back there becuase the gap is to big and fish were dissapearing.

Raibaru
10/10/2008, 02:26 PM
Kinda late to ask this as I had my store order it and I plan to pick it up, but these are drilled in the bottom, right?

And if they are drilled in the bottom, that means the bottom of the tank isn't tempered, so is there anything special I should do when aquascaping to make sure nothing cracks the bottom? In other threads I've seen people suggest eggcrate below the rocks to help distribute the weight?

seagirl
10/10/2008, 06:37 PM
you can also use hdpe like people use for bb tanks. It will protect the bottom and can be covered with sand if thatws what you like.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=72&product%5Fid=10369