PDA

View Full Version : Baffled with Baffles

d9sccr
10/01/2008, 10:01 PM
Okay, so I'm building a sump for a 29g tank. I have a spare 10g that fits perfectly under my stand and need help with baffle placement. I found a couple of 10g designs but have had virtually no help from the makers.

I want an area for fuge, where I'll put mud and chaeto, and possibly a mangrove prop. Also need room for a Tunze Skimmer: 4.9x2.1x13.3.

How high should the baffles be?

The one closest to the display drain should be on the bottom?
The second closest set how high up?
The third closest on the bottom?
Then a fourth set on the bottom to ensure the return pump has a separate section?

Thanks for the help

2_zoa
10/01/2008, 10:22 PM
I would start by figuring out the over flow and how much water will continue to exit the tank during a power outage, pump failure ect... So what ever that number of gallons add up to you have to plan the sump to hold that much water in addition to the running volume. ie. you don't want 9 gallons of water in the sump when everything is on and then the power goes out and now it has to hold the overflow which is 3 gallons..... see that won't work

Also don't forget about displacement. pumps, skimmers.......

2_zoa
10/01/2008, 10:25 PM
Also some of the baffle height will be dictated by the skimmer.

d9sccr
10/01/2008, 10:54 PM
yeah. i figured the skimmer height into it. it's immersion depth is 7-8.6 inches

so i'm thinking 8 inch for the first set, and slightly smaller on the other end?