PDA

View Full Version : When to not have skimmer running?

roper512
10/01/2008, 10:14 PM
Hey guys quick question... I have a deltec MCE600 hang on back skimmer and I was wondering when should I be turning it off?

I obviously turn it off for about an hour or so during feeding time.. But are there other times when I should turn it off?

For example, if I want to blow off my rocks with a turkey baster and all that detritus and such flies out, is it bad if thats getting sucked up by the skimmer? Will it just sit at the bottom of the skimmer and stay there just to give off nitrates?

avshockey311
10/01/2008, 10:26 PM
The only time I turn my skimmer off is when I do water changes.

AJDuran
10/01/2008, 10:29 PM
+1

roper512
10/01/2008, 10:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13467236#post13467236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by avshockey311
The only time I turn my skimmer off is when I do water changes.

Really? You leave it on when you feed?

60Cubed
10/01/2008, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13467319#post13467319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roper512
Really? You leave it on when you feed?

I do. The skimmer stops working when you feed the tank anyway. So why turn it off. That's JMO. There are others, believe me!

nikon187
10/01/2008, 10:55 PM
+2.. only unplug it during water changes. The foam head does crash but it builds up again in not too long

AJDuran
10/01/2008, 11:00 PM
yeah my skimmer goes a little crazy when i feed sometimes the foam dies or it turns into a volcanoso i just lower the riser tube.

xskyzx
10/02/2008, 12:36 AM
i turn it off when i add stuff to the tank (phytos and stuff) and turn back on in 10 - 15 mins

SALT WATER CRAZ
10/02/2008, 12:45 AM
When I add AA I take the cup off. The only time I shut it down all the way is for a water change, or to clean the pump and skimmer body.

roper512
10/02/2008, 10:21 AM
interesting... Thanks for the responses guys... I thought I remember reading awhile back that feeding with skimmer on or whatever you can get larger pieces of stuff in the skimmer body that will just rot in the skimmer and not be pulled out through the bubble column ....

I will leave it on thank you :)

IslandCrow
10/02/2008, 10:40 AM
I turn it off a few hours when feeding the tank phyto or feeding my corals oyster eggs and/or artemia nauplii. Otherwise, it stays on except to clean it and during water changes. I don't think very many people turn their skimmers off for feeding, though what you heard is correct. If it sucks up the food, it very well may remain in the skimmer and start to rot. I've just never had much of a problem with it. Of course, my skimmer's in my sump now, and my fish don't let very much food escape anyway. Of course, if you feel more comfortable turning it off (or you notice that is is sucking up food), it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Michael
10/02/2008, 11:15 AM
i never turn mine off, even when i water change, i remove water from the DT, and the sump still has water in it so i leave the skimmer working, i then re-fill the DT with new matured salt water, restart the return pump and all this just 3-4 minutes, even when i clean the skimmer cup i just reduce the water level in the skimmer and take the cup off, clean it then increase the water level up again, ive never had any issues so i dont intend to change my routine

Tswifty
10/02/2008, 11:23 AM
I turn mine off for water changes, and every once in a while for about an hour when I feed the corals, but I also shut off flow through the sump when I do this.

I have to kill the skimmer cause the rise in water level height from the return pump and overflow drains creates enough added backpressure, that the foam will literally blow the top off my collection cup. :lol:

Also, I remove my skimmer once every few months and give it a thorough cleaning and scrub down. ;)

macchicks
10/02/2008, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13467174#post13467174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roper512

For example, if I want to blow off my rocks with a turkey baster and all that detritus and such flies out, is it bad if thats getting sucked up by the skimmer? Will it just sit at the bottom of the skimmer and stay there just to give off nitrates?

I dont think anyone addressed this specificly.

I may be wrong, I dont think I am, but the whole point of blowing off the rocks is so the skimmer will suck it up. That is its job.

My skimmer does not really mess up with feedings but its not that great of one anyways. However any other change (usually at waterchanges but even if I move something) in the tank and it takes 3-6 hours to correct itself. Bubbles everywhere.

I only turn it off for waterchange and thats cause I dont want to run the pump dry.

crvz
10/02/2008, 01:39 PM
The only time I turn mine off is if I'm doing maintenance or painting with a latex based paint. Which has been twice. ;)

Paco
10/02/2008, 02:11 PM
I turn mine off when my water's too clean. I hate it when that happens!! :lol: